*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Onetwo345

Onetwo345 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nope, it's the gsync 60hz panel, so Optimus is disabled. Might get a 120hz display at some point and compare though

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    About to pull the trigger on a 144hz gsync monitor. I just got my miniDP to DP cable(specifically this one(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5RY8D7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) from amazonUSA(had to order from the US because i cant seem to find it locally). I will have no problems running the 144hz display with my laptop correct? just double checking before i make the purchase as the only way i can get a refund here is if the monitor is broken/not working out of the box. If everything works except for my wire i wont be able to get a refund LOL

3. Jerohm

Jerohm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    you should have no problem... I have one attached using the DP on my 17R4.

jpsm likes this.
  4. ososoba

ososoba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I've been using my 15 R3 (7700HQ, 1070) for about a month. It started freezing periodically after about 2 weeks. Typical case

- Using laptop, everything on screen freezes, I can still hear things in the background (like a video playing)
    - If laptop is plugged in, unplug and it comes back. If unplugged, plug in
    - Repeat

I had the same issue on my R2 (6820HK, 980M) and had to install an older version of Windows 10 + Old Intel drivers to keep it stable. Has anyone faced a similar issue on the 15 R3? Is there a precise fix? I'd hate to run the same trial/error approach I used on my 15 R2.

I currently have the 1803 windows version + all updated drivers. But freezing started before 1803, so it's not exactly that causing it

5. Snooze1988

Snooze1988 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My AW 15R3 does sometimes get a BSOD called “critical process died”. I run the ePSA Test without any problems. Does someone have the same issue?

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try running Dism restore health or sfc /scannow in cmd prompt or powershell and see if there are any errors.

7. css_jay99

css_jay99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    Regarding these AW15R3 UHD panels :-

15.6 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz IPS Display NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled
    15.6 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz IPS Display

Please does anyone know what the models numbers are.?

Also since my AW15R3 comes with 120hz G-sync panel , I take that I would need to also get a 40pin cable to swap to UHD?

Thanks

8. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    UHD does need 40-pin eDP. I have the IPS non-GSYNC model they were selling in late 2016. The color accuracy leaves some to be desired...

9. css_jay99

css_jay99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks cookinwitdiesel

I had a look at the swapping of the edp cable on youtube and looks like I would have to cannibalize the laptop all the way to the motherbord, is this true?

10. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Not true. To access the eDP cable is actually pretty easy.

1) Remove back cover
    2) unscrew 2 screws on back of laptop holding that IO cover in place
    3) gently pry up the 2 sides of the IO cover on the bottom of the laptop and slide the whole thing off the back of the laptop

Once you have done that, sit the laptop right side up again and the eDP cable and hinges are easily accessed right behind the screen on the top and back of the laptop

shashank066, Vasudev and css_jay99 like this.