*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. msri15603

msri15603 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,
    Not sure where to post this exactly,
    But I need some input from you people (preferably from India)

So, I am planning to buy the Alienware 15 R3 (i7 7820HK, 1080 MQ,120Hz Gsync TN+WVA, 32GB, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD) that's the only config available here BTW.
    Reading about the various issues related to heating I am now a bit skeptical to buy it. Also, nvidia will be refreshing the mobile GPU line-up somewhere around late 2018 according to rumors. I understand that there is always something better on the horizon in the tech-world but should I wait for the new line-up or go ahead with this one. Are the issues really really bad? What I am meaning to ask is what are the odds that I would receive a faulty machine?
    Also worth noting are the ambient temps ~ 40-45 C. So I have been experiencing temps around 88-95C for CPU(undervolted & overclocked) and ~60-78C for GPU(overclocked) when pushed hard for couple of hours while gaming and using a cooling pad also, I have repasted using cooler master maker nano twice. Will the temps on the 15 be somewhat similar all things considered? Or would I run into more problems?
    I currently own a lenovo y50 with gtx860m 4gb maxwell and i7 4710HQ it's been going strong but now it's down to 30fps 720p.
    I have been gaming on 768p for all the while I have had this laptop so switching over is a big step up for me. (I am pretty comfortable gaming at 900p as long as I get solid 60fps)
    Also, a desktop is a no-go since, I am on the move most of the time.
    So is making a switch now (within a month) wise? or should I wait for something else ? I am really into how the alienware looks and also I see no attractive option(look of the laptop matters alot apart from just config, If I am buying a 3800$ machine It should look the part instead of a typical 1000$ laptop look IMO) in the price range either. BTW it costs around 2.57 Lakhs INR here(3,824.16 US Dollar) for the config I mentioned.
    Any input is welcomed coz now I am pretty confused.

EDIT: planning to buy it from a dell exclusive store locally from lucknow. I am a final year student living in NCR so Indian members would know exactly what ambient temps I am talking about.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    jpsm likes this.
  2. Onetwo345

Onetwo345 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So my 15r3 (7820, 1070, 60hz IPS) defaults to 39 FPS sometimes in games. Tabbing out and back in makes it return to 60fps, but I'm not sure the reason for this in the first place.

Has anyone experienced this? It's no more than a slight annoyance, but I can't figure out the reason for it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jpsm likes this.
  3. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there any benefit in buying an aw15 with 1070 vs 1080 max q, besides “pretending” to have the best gpu this generation?

Was thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 1080 max Q is very (very) slightly more powerful than a 1070 expect 5 to 10%. It has however a faster memory speed (GDDR5X 25% faster) which can be very useful in some specific professional use cases.

The cores and components are also more efficient. The 1080 max Q is more powerful, there's no discussion here no matter what some people might tell you benchmarks are benchmarks...and its found in laptops that are slimmer than a traditional 1070 laptop. Make sure the 1080 max Q laptop is not throttling the 1080 however (most don't if I remember) !

sisqo_uk likes this.
  5. Z14d

Z14d Newbie

Reputations:
    so I did a complete fresh install and I also got a cooling pad at the same time. after that all games run smoothly on Gforce experience recommended sittings. thanks for the help

6. spencerj650

spencerj650 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought a 15 r3/6820hk/1070/99whr off the outlet to replace my 15 r3/7300hq/1060/68whr and I was excited about the more powerful cpu and overclocking.

When overclocking, though, it quickly throttles to 45W. At stock voltage this means around 2.7-3.3 depending on workload. With undervolting the highest I can get stable is 3.6 and maintain 45W.
    I've changed PL1 and PL2 in bios, tried setting Turbo short and long power limits in XTU to unlimited, and tried Throttlestop. It seems no matter what I do the 45W power limit kicks in after the Turbo time window then eventually climbs back to unlimited power limit after some time.
    Laptop came with BIOS 1.2.3 and I've tried 1.2.4 and both have this issue. Is this as it is designed to work?

I've read a lot of others' overclocking experiences and it seems most can get 4.0+ and I haven't found any reports of power limit issues.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You will need Xtu in combo with bios. Alienware’s tech screwed up the possibility to use ThrottleStop with their newer AW models. They offer you their own OC app instead. But not 100% sure if this applies to Skylake models with Pascal.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. bloosh

bloosh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The FHD IPS display (LP156WF6-SPB1) used in my AW15 was driving me crazy with a slight screen door effect on oranges and blues. Dell wouldn't do anything about it, so I decided to try out a LTN156HL06-C01 and LTN156HL02-201. For me at least, they look better due to lacking the screen door effect, but otherwise they seem more of a side-grade compared to my original.

The 201 had a scratch, and the C01 is too glossy for me, so I'm trying to decide what to do next (turning into a display hoarder). Right now I'm kind of torn between going for another LTN156HL02-201 and going for an upgrade to a 4k panel. The one I would probably get is a LQ156D1JW02 which I understand is a better version of default 4k panel LQ156D1JW04 that Dell is using. The improved resolution isn't that big of a selling point for me, but I would like the better contrast and color. If it was a FHD with the same specs I'd get it in a heartbeat. My main concern is how the screen will look at 1080p for gaming or if I ever had to use it worst case scenario for a specific program. Some people seem to say it looks perfect, while others say it is super blurry, and it seems to depend on the specific panel. Does anyone have some input on the LQ156D1JW04 or LQ156D1JW02 running lower resolution stuff?

Also of concern is parts/compatibility. I have pieced together that I would need a UHD cable and a UHD mounting bracket back display cover. Are there any other things I would be missing here?

9. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Experienced this on my old ge60. Never experienced this with my aw 15r3 120hz panel. Maybe you have an optimus equipped laptop?

10. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just make sure that it comes with atleast 1 year warranty(hopefully starts when the day you bought it). Warranty is superb in SEA area esp in Philippines. Ask for a replacement heatsink that is CCI(imo its better than the sunon(sp). I just bought a gelid extreme paste from amazon and called support to request for a heatsink replacement, after a couple of days(3days working days i think) a tech came to my address and replaced the heatsink then i requested him to put on my paste and viola awesome temps!

Odds of receiving a faulty machine is low but faulty is very vague and subjective. If you define a faulty machine as something that has high temps out of the box then yes the chances are very high I would say in the high 90%. Initially wanted to return my laptop but it checks almost all the boxes for me. My only wish is that it would not weigh as heavy as it is. I fly from my province to Manila(capital) atleast once every month and i can say this thing is quite heavy LOL.

If you plan on gaming at 1080p dont worry about the new GPU'S as the current gen are plenty powerful and will be good for atleast 2 more years imo.