*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know Dell prefer put max overclock for 1 single core. But remember they also put higher clocks for all the rest of the cores as well.
    i9-8950Hk run stock (4.3 GHz with 6 cores). I can't imagine Dell will put only stock clocks for the rest of the cores in their different OC profiles.

Ashtrix, Vistar Shook and rinneh like this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hard to say. For some reason I feel the coffee lake generation is a bit of a fad. They use the same Kaby lake cores, add 2 more, but claim they run at comparable speeds and TDP. But once you start benching they hit the 100watt and even the I7 6core versions cant hold their boost for longer than 30 seconds (Aero15, Zephyrus). So it looks nice in those Cinebench results but a sustained load and its not that much faster even while it should be much faster with those 2 extra cores. But there isnt much data to go on yet. But the powerdraw doesnt bode well for laptops I think.

3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have said this long time ago... The new 6 core H Coffee lake BGA processors will behave exactly as the ULV 8th gen Processors in prolonged workflow. The increased powerdraw will stop it from working correctly as the LGA brothers. Intel put only a guideline but it is up to the OEMS now how they will handle the higher peak power. Firmware/software will always be preferred before better cooling.

Ashtrix and Vistar Shook like this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think for this Alienware should go back to 2 separate machines. The AW15R3/R4 AW17R4/R5 are basically the same. Just some bigger fans, but the motherboards are universal for both screensizes. So there is quite some space within the 17inch version which is not used at all. If they would just design a motherboard for the ground up for the 17inch alone and use that extra space for an enormous heatsink and powerdelivery system you can offer both a very high performance 17inch laptop that makes the most out of the space available in this fairly thin package and a good 15inch laptop without a CPU that is too much for any thinner laptop. Now you have basically 2 of the same laptops which doesnt make the most out of space available and thus compromises the 17inch version.

I still think these are great machines, and i knwo that it is more cost effective. But it would silence a lot of the critics if they make the most out of what would be possible. It also would cater better to various users. I need some portability so I chose for the 15inch. If i wanted the absolute best I would go for a 17 if there was a real benefit, but I need the portability of the 15. Cant have it all.

(I actually tuned my laptop into a low voltage machine, capped the boost at 3.2ghz, the GPU at 1700mhz and now it runs at 75c max for the CPU and 60c max for the GPU when both are stressed fully, far less fan noise as well, can switch in TS easily anyway because of the profile function).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 8:45 AM
  5. erodeox

erodeox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, no new Alien Command Center application for 15 R3 users?

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope different controller chips.

7. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi does anyone know what cables i need on my 15r3 to be able to use a 144hz gaming monitor? I see that the 15r3 only has hdmi and usb c. Considering a a xl2411 from benq and vg248q from samsung.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mini display port next to the HDMI port.

jpsm likes this.
  9. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Asus is better, same panels but the OSD from Asus is better.

It should work yes on the mini display port. You can also bypass the intel GPU by pressing fn+F7