*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There were literally 3 re-paste guides on the front page at the time of post. And hundreds over the course of a few years; someone like the poster with over 100 posts should know how to browse the forums for their answer. Or Google. So I chose snarky ;) but meant no offense.

A newbie to the forum like you, I would give the real answer

I was told 24 hours.... but they give you an email of the chat log; and they price match, so I assume they would have to honor it if you have the log.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  2. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah its about 24-48 hours for quotes. So I think if I get some time tonight that I will try repasting my setup. I have the plastic pry tools and will be using IC Diamond.

hmscott likes this.
  3. CarbonTwelve

CarbonTwelve Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Found a video on Reddit from someone with the 120Hz screen on the AW15:

The screen quality seems really good, but he has a flickering issue when gaming (with Overwatch at least). Seems driver related I think.

Another comment here from someone else with a 120Hz panel: https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/59dunr/has_anyone_gotten_the_120hz_panel_yet/

4. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Why IC Diamond over Gelid?
    Gelid Extreme, runs cooler and wont scratch the die.
    Just curious?

5. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    - NOT SURE about this info early 1.0.6 testers report very promising results :).
    ICD => superficial scratches to die, but has better viscosity and lasts longer.
    Gelid => run very very slightly cooler.

Regarding the 120hz flickering does he have latest drivers, because initial dell driver did NOT support Gsync...

6. Pallab

Pallab Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The problem is solved by reverting to the previous driver from alienware. Maybe the panel has pwm.

7. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As a long term user of ICD I can say that you won't scratch the die when letting the TIM soak up the alcohol/arctic cleaner before wiping it off gently with a cotton pad.

What I've been aware of is that most ICD users put to little alcohol/arctic cleaner on the TIM and immediately start (literally) scrubbing the hell of it, while ICD is still sticky....

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  8. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea I used the IC Diamond 24 Carat on my main build, I only repasted once when I changed motherboards. I used arctic cleaner and had no issues getting the paste off. I have had the same paste in there for 6 years.

Papusan, CaerCadarn and hmscott like this.
  9. EinNarr

EinNarr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, in Alienfx you can customize those keys to macros you set up. I did mine to the volume buttons, after i keyed it in, it did say like c or 3 for the button, but when you press it, it changed the volume.