*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If its Simplo then deep discharge the battery to less than 5% twice or thrice and charging it to 100%. That way, you can kill the battery faster. My battery on 15 r2 had a problem which caused it to overheat on light load on battery and dell refused warranty and near to the end of my warranty the battery suddenly shut down with 30% left. I did deep discharge twice and it doesn't charge anymore and stopped at 60% and never charged again. Then I got a warning to replace battery. Mind you my wear level was only 10% and temps on battery soared upwards of 75C.
    I got a Sanyo battery(96Wh) which was top class battery when I held it with my hands. On constant usage I get amazing battery life of 8hrs+. I managed to get near 11-11.5 hrs mark which is more than advertised battery life on 15 r2 (Advertised as getting 10.5 hrs on 92Wh) It has wear level of 2.7%
    One thing I noticed is, battery wear increases if your temps are high and charging it increases wear level. I did an experiment where I calibrated the battery by discharging it below 30% and shut down for 1 hour to cool the battery then I charged it to 100% then I observed battery wear level didn't increase at all.
    So the tip to longer battery shelf life is never to play game or do graphic intensive things on battery. I would say intensive apps can be run for 30 mins or less w/o any wear level at all.

2. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, everyone. My cousin has a Alienware 15 r3. Was wondering which bios he should use.. The latest bios fix the intel security issues.. is there any problems with the new bios besides not able to roll back? thanks

3. deybitesq

deybitesq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting. My battery is Compal I believe. I've desperately done "calibration" like 5 times only to ruin it more, so by now it's already pretty screwed up. It really frustrated me that the support people were pretty incompetent and clueless as to what battery wear was, hence why they just made me show them the bios battery state which doesn't have anything to do. Also the fact that they probably misinterpret the battery policy as it being a 1 year "lifespan" instead of 1 year warranty

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    All battery are labeled as Compal Electronics and model name as PABxxxx.
    You can see it after disconnecting the battery and inspect it yourself. You will see Simplo Assembed in Korea and Made in China.
    Sanyo/Panasonic has higher capacity in Wh or mAh and will be having a label saying "Assembled in Japan and Made in China"

5. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello, anyone can recommend to which bios to install in my cousins laptop? is there any issues with the latest bios besides not able to roll back? Thanks..

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does the 7700hq 1070 show problems such as battery drain during gaming and max load?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's the battery boost feature. I think there is a thread where you can turn it off or something, can't find it but I'm sure someone knows.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes sometimes. You can get around it by undervolting CPU and Pascal GPU.
    BB or battery boost simply cuts FPS to 30 and that kills performance on many games, so unless you're running an old game I wouldn't suggest playing the game on battery at all.

9. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe it's not called battery boost. But during high loads the system uses some of the battery. There isn't FPS cut or anything.

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They only come with pascal cpu's as far as I know? BUt if i go for an AW15R3 i want to make sure I dont have battery drain issues, I see some horror stories about battery wear of more than 20% after one year of use. not sure if they have overclocked configs or not. Even makes me want to go 1060GTX and use my external GPU at home for when I need more power.

Vasudev likes this.