*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    First, it was the 6700HQ, then both since had/have 7820HK, each with the 1070 but never with any GPU overheating, just CPU. They have all been built brand new (as far as I know).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2. Amal77

Amal77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Manage to use back my old msata ssd by using an msata to sata converter.
    Save me from buying another ssd. Phew.
    low temp2.png

Vasudev and Aman Krishna like this.
  3. forge247

forge247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If I was to buy a 15R3 from a a store such as Curry/Pcworld (I'm in UK) what happens with the warranty, is it with Dell or the store I.e if indeed I have a problematic system who would be responsible and who would I contact?

Also I keep seeing well speced systems on the outlet store, how reliable are these and would I be taking a huge risk/gamble with what I get?

4. Aman Krishna

Aman Krishna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought my system from Amazon marketplace on May 22nd, 2017. My system came with warranty till Feb 14th, 2018.
    Note that the system was shipped to the seller on November 14th, 2016 (got this info. from Dell website under warranty section after putting my Serial number). In, fact resellers and retailers like the ones you mentioned get longer warranties with these systems, so that they can sell within the extra 4 months (in my case Nov 14, 2016 to Feb 14, 2017), so the buyer can still enjoy the 1 year warranty that Alienware systems come with.

BUT, there's a downside. If you are ultra budget friendly guy like me, and are buying an older system (I got the 6th gen Intel), then your reseller/retailer might have run out of the extra warranty period it had gotten to make the sale in that duration (my system's "extra" warranty ended on Feb 14, 2017). So, my system was infact in an Amazon warehouse for the first 3 months of it's one year warranty.

But on the upside, I did get the machine for 150$ cheaper than on Dell site, & No it's was not a refurbished system.

P.S. Dell refused to price match Amazon.com..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  5. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New BIOS is available. Could someone tell me when the Alienware Dominator Software will arrive? I heave heard that this will be an OC software.

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Might be an add-on to AW CC's Alien Adrenaline.

7. bloosh

bloosh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ended up getting a refurb with a 1070 and a 7700hq last night for under $1300 after ebates. I would have preferred one of the unlocked i7s but I haven't seen any in the price point I was waiting for other than one I missed a few nights ago. How much am I missing out on here? Trying to decide if its worth the hassle of waiting for one to show up and returning this one.

i7-7700hq, gtx 1070, ips display, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, if you aren't into overclocking then your system is worth the price. Else, you could have wait for 7820HK and 1070

9. ShotOfB12

ShotOfB12 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    7820hk
    16gb ram
    512gb ssd
    120hz

Can't say I'm really happy with the machine so far. Original idle temps were in the low 70s so I undervolted with xtu, lifted the back up, and did a clean install. Temps are now high 50s low 60s but these idle fans are loud.... I'm not sure if I wanna go through a repaste but I think its my last hope. I have artic 5 lying around but should I order a LM paste?

10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Wait a few months and you will see the idle temp increase up to around boiling point. 70C should be max load temp:rolleyes: Checked as well max PCH and ssd temp in fully load?