*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sunshinewelly

sunshinewelly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ordered one of these and want to put a SSD in it.

is there any benefit of using an M.2 SSD over a standard SSD

2. TruitaMan

TruitaMan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had an issue with the laptop,

after the user login into windows 10 desktop the cursor was blinking and taskbar either, no way to do anything else, contacted Dell support and only solution they gave me it's format drive and reinstall.

I installed all drivers and stuff from dell site for my laptop, only issue that i got now is that the alienware studio sound, the app that came with the installation is gone, and in the dell site they don't have it any longer,

Someone knows where it could be downloaded if it's possible?

Don't know why they removed the application from the dell's site.

Dell support told me that app doesn't came with the laptop. XDDD

3. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "ordered one of these and want to put a SSD in it.

is there any benefit of using an M.2 SSD over a standard SSD"

15R3 provides connection and space for up to 4 SSD drives, one SATA and (3) M.2 drives. M.2 can provide up to 3-5X SATA read/write speeds, depending on the drives. The Samsung EVO series seems to be the quality/economy point in the M.2 drives. I'm getting power on boot to windows times around 8 seconds with the EVO.

4. adahlmannolsen

adahlmannolsen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received my Alienware today, and holy cow it is nice! Screen is absolutely beautiful, very nice image and viewing angles (will check for lightbleed when it gets dark). It performs like a beast, the fans do spin, but absolutely not at an irritating point as they are at a quite low pitch.
    Temps are in the mid to high 70's (core 0= 81C) when gaming or benchmarking. Core diff's are not that bad (7C's (at max temp)), idle temps are in the mid 50's (with a ambient temp of 25C)
    This is right out of the box! No repaste, no extra cooling or anything else than the hot summer breeze flowing from my open window. Expect temps to be a bit better when sun goes down and temps lower.

Also I needed a powercord without a ground connector, and Dell will send me one without any charge, very nice.
    I am very impressed at this point, but at the same point very critical. I will do a follow up when the smell of new cardboard box is gone

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  5. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @adahlmannolsen Gratz, which screen have you picked? I will get mine tomorrow with the 1080p 120hz display. If you have ordered the same panel...could you say a bit more about it :)

6. adahlmannolsen

adahlmannolsen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is the same display. Viewing angles are very close to IPS, and colors are very good too, but mind that I do not have any tools to measure accuracy (other than compare to my color accurate desktop screen). Brightness is very good too, and reflections are close to none.

tlprtr19 likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    One of the (3) M.2 slots can only handle half sized M.2 2242 ssd's... And those models ain't for 3-5X SATA read/write speed.

8. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm going to do my usual repasting/repadding/dust cleaning soon , I bought kryonaut (gpu) /conductonaut (cpu), 3M thermal tape and Fujipoly.

@iunlock : I have probably the first unit 15R3 ever shipped in France ^^, regarding the thermal pads before AW fix, I should remove the pads on the FET in front of the CPU and put a thin fujipoly layer on them right ? Or maybe i should get 0.1 pads ?
    (my differential is 5°C after i first repasted and undervolted, but if i can improve that..)

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  9. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    True. I believe that you can only get the full PCIE speed from the #1 M.2. drive location. The others, (including the 42mm) will show approximately SATA r/w speeds of maybe 500-600MB/s. Personally, I would still choose the EVO drive line of M.2. drives over the lower priced SATA drives, even if you may not enjoy the full potential at this time.

10. TruitaMan

TruitaMan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Someone got a clue about this?

btw Windows hello isn't working any idea?

Thanks for the hints,