*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. astec23

astec23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    have you guys tried overclocking the display on your alienwares? i have a 60Hz 1080p Gsync screen and im wondering if i can overclock my display to a comfortable 75Hz without having any issues. thanks!

2. Onetwo345

Onetwo345 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My screen wouldn't hit 65hz without going black, I've heard from others as well, the 60hz gsync IPS is not overclockable unfortunately

astec23 likes this.
  3. stealth_ferret

stealth_ferret Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well they came back and said that YES I am to replace it myself, they sent me a link to a how-to video that says you need an anti-static wristband, you need to remove the HD, RAM, wireless etc... (not a simple job by any means) and that if I happened to damage the machine then they wouldn't cover it.

Frankly I think that's ridiculous, if the battery is faulty they should fix it. If they want me to do it, fine, but they have to accept I am not a computer technician so if I mess it up and damage the computer it's their problem not mine.

I've told them to send a technician, or collect it (for which I'd like a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience of not having the machine) or to give me a refund and take it back...

4. stealth_ferret

stealth_ferret Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So it seems they made a mistake, they thought I only had the collect and return warranty and not the premium onsite warranty.

So I essentially got the option of having a technician come out to do it OR do it myself and they would accept responsibility if I damage the laptop in any way.

So I'm going to do it myself happy in the knowledge that if I break it they will fix it.

SimplyJ3sse and Vasudev like this.
  5. astec23

Reputations:
    Thanksfor the information. I guess you can't really overclock a gsync screen like other screens.

6. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't get any on the non-gsync 60Hz, either. Sounds like it's the 17" monitors that overclock well.

astec23 likes this.
  7. astec23

Reputations:
    guys, have you tried the Windows 10 Creators update? im planning on updating but i am worried i might encounter some issues like bluetooth or alienfx(i saw that others had issues with the update) do you think it is fixed now and it is safe to update? i wont do a clean install if i update btw.

8. StanJarensky

StanJarensky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I updated last Friday. My 15R3 is still working perfectly.

astec23 likes this.
  9. astec23

Reputations:
    do i need to do a clean install or not?

10. StanJarensky

StanJarensky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't fresh install for it and mine is fine.