*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    You will find a lot more of similar if you read through the AW sub-threads

stealth_ferret likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Looks good to me. But a repaste would decrease the temps even further by 10C.

stealth_ferret likes this.
  3. stealth_ferret

stealth_ferret Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cheers, currently looking at a possible battery issue. Repasting will probably happen but I think I'll wait 6-8 months for any issues to hopefully come to light first. Wouldn't want to go to the trouble of a repaste and then have to send it back for a replacement!

Vasudev likes this.
  4. juvy

juvy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for the double post.

Hey guys..

Tried repasting my laptop with Artic MX-4.

The computer won't boot on anymore.

It turns on for a second, the keyboard backlight turns on and side lights go on, the fans spin, then it completely goes off. The screen is completely black during this process.

It repeats this step for about 3-4 times then, eventually, the keyboard backlight and side lights stay on, but it hangs there and the screen is still completely black. The alienware Logo blinks blue 7 times and then blinks red 2-3 times, and repeats the blinking.

It doesn't make any sound so I can't really figure out what the issue is..

Is the mobo fried?

5. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    try pulling the batteries, the cmos and the main, just unplug them and hold the power button down, usually that makes it work.

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Check the connections for the video ribbon cable - it can easily slide out of place by a couple of mm and cause malfunction.

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    do you get any beeps?

8. TruitaMan

TruitaMan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    almost 3 weeks since i had the new laptop Kaby Lake inside.

Kaby Lake 7820HQ after repaste with conducnaut and after several weeks i got 62 to max 76c never saw reaching the 80c playing all kind of games (the witcher 3, bf1, outlast 2, GTA V (4k resolution 60fps not everything on ultra) and many others at 4K resolution and 1080p as well , i did a little undervolt of -0.150mv cpu and cache and now in most demanding tasks i reach 72c, i really recommend doing the repaste and little undervaluing with throttle stop.

better temps, better fan noise.

I contacted Dell about the m.2 reaching the 80s C under benchmark application and they told me is normal under some bench tools and i don't need to worry about, normal use and playing never saw more than 57ºc, so they don't recommend using those specific bench tools , otherwise i use mainly the laptop to play and do some virtualisation under vmware.

Otherwise Dell support in my country doesn't seem too much receptive to changeme the m.2 drive.

overall i'm happy with the laptop.

SimplyJ3sse likes this.
  9. stealth_ferret

stealth_ferret Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So Alienware support on Twitter say 6% wear in two weeks isn't normal and have said they will send me a new battery...

Is that it? Do they expect me to dismantle the laptop and replace it myself? I've asked but I'm waiting for a response, in meantime wondered what other people have experienced by way of faulty battery replacements?

10. SimplyJ3sse

SimplyJ3sse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly I prefer to change things like that myself. The battery isn't too hard to get to. Just follow iunlock's repaste guide but stop once you get the middle cover off where the battery is free to get out.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk