*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. robert77

robert77 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have disabled Windows 10 updates because of issues like yours!

2. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Could you run ATTO Disk Benchmark 2-3 times in a row and post the temperature results for the M.2 ssd? Use HWiNFO for monitoring temp. Thanks

Vasudev and Aman Krishna like this.
  3. TruitaMan

TruitaMan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok,
    i will download and let you know.

Papusan likes this.
  4. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Hey guys...figured, might as well post this here too.

Repost from the RAM thread...

LOL...okay so for fun and what it's worth (to many it's worth nothing as it really won't make a difference...) but I ran some tests with what I had in my unit stock:

Samsung 2400MHz @ Cas 17 vs HyperX 2667MHz @ Cas 15 vs SK Hynix 2667MHz @ Cas 19

[​IMG]

The HyperX is obviously faster, but look at the Latency of the Samsung 2400MHz. Like a BOSS.

Also, that SK Hynix 2667MHz...so sad. :( ...Great quality / integrity chips (the best actually next to Samsung) but with horrible timings out of the box.

What makes it really bad is that you can't adjust the timings on the 17R4, but on the 17R3 you can? :rolleyes: Mmm yea...that needs to change.

So I wonder how those SK Hynix 2667's will do tuned.

As for the Samsung at 2400MHz and holding its own, what can you say...it's Samsung. The King of Chips.

So is it worth it to upgrade your RAM? For 99.9% of the users, NO.

However...

I'll stick with the HyperX 2667MHz with the Cas 15-17-17 as in this case with not being able to change the timings, having faster RAM speed paired with the Kaby will at the end of the day brings more benefits to whatever degree that is worth to the user.

In this case...I rather have the faster RAM, since the timings are the best we're going to get for the 17R4 / 15R3, until there is miraculously a bios update that will unlock it.

TribalOne likes this.
  5. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just curious, it wasn't until newer CPU tech like Kabylake that RAM timings actually provided good benefits right? Would you be able to do another Heaven or Valley, or really any benchmark you've already done on 2400Mhz RAM (stock or aftermarket) but do it once more on your new choice, the HyperX 2667 please. I won't be returning and rebuying new RAM but I am still curious how many FPS or points the faster RAM brings.

Before in the past it was miniscule, 1800Mhz VS even the mid 3000s. But I was shown something over the summer actually that RAM speed nowadays actually does give nice boosts to FPS. However RAM does start to get stupid expensive

iunlock likes this.
  6. TruitaMan

TruitaMan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

i was wrong the 512 GB internal m.2 drive is Lite On, the 256 stick is Toshiba.
    here it is:

[​IMG]

now retested with all the drives i have installed:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. StanJarensky

StanJarensky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I apologize if this has been asked and answered before; what is the maximum thickness of a hard drive that the AW 15 R3 can hold? Can it support 15mm HDDs? I'd like to get a 4TB HDD for mass storage if possible and they only come with a 15mm thickness.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @iunlock: If you want XTU score to be more, HyperX will give you a max score, correct? Looks like we need to remove everything stock and consider after-market computer parts.
    Is there any way to tweak RAM timings on 15 r2 with 6700hq/980m?

iunlock likes this.
  9. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Here's something better. :) Watch from 4:40 ...the link should take you right there.

Short answer: Yes, pairing faster RAM like the HyperX 2667 @ Cas 15 compliments the new Kaby.

Unfortunately, the option to change the timings is not available on the 17R4, however, it is on the 17R3. I'll push for getting the xmp goodness back in hopefully in a future bios update.

Vasudev and illuMinniti like this.
  10. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice, thanks for the info. But since our laptops are capped at 2667, I am mostly just curious about 2667 vs 2400. Some games I get really close to 4K @60 (RE7 for example) but with ReShade takes it down to like 52-53 depending on the settings. I wonder if having 2667 would give nice boosts at 4K. I can't really see it giving a big boost over 2400, since it is just 267Mhz, but I'm still curious