*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Playing any type of games on battery regardless of setting makes games look terrible

2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wrong. Its based on settings. If you have it set to power saver or battery mode in the Windows Power options or Nvidia, it will look terrible. If you have the power settings equal, it looks equal, but you won't get much time

SimplyJ3sse likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And if your hardware draw eg. +200W. Will firmware allow that power been pulled from battery? Or let's say even better... laptops with SLI graphics and +500w from battery?

4. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Then you have no idea because regardless of setting it never plays the same period.

5. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Well if you can prove what I said wrong, go for it. However I can run a game like Resident Evil 7 Maxed out with the same playable FPS on battery as I can plugged in. While I have no experience with said laptops with SLI drawing near 500W like Papusan was saying (my 1070 + 7700HQ draws like 120W, so 500W is a bit ridiculous to begin with), can't comment on it cuz I will never own one.

But for you, cn555ic to say any type of game on battery looks terrible, that's just 100% wrong lol. How do I know the battery drains in 1-1.5hrs? Because I've ran RE7 from battery and it was the same experience both on and off AC.

SimplyJ3sse likes this.
  6. SimplyJ3sse

SimplyJ3sse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well feel free to show us what your battery settings are in the Nvidia GeForce Experience app if you believe that he's wrong. It's all based on settings.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

7. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Literally the first thing I disabled in GeForce Experience was battery boost haha. 2nd being shadowplay. Shadowplay is actually very useful though, just don't have a use for it atm

SimplyJ3sse likes this.
  8. Drkknightfan

Drkknightfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys my 13 R3 is coming this Tuesday, and I was just wondering if using my old 240 watt adapter from my 15 R2 would cause any problems with this computer? I know the 13 uses a 180 watt.

9. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What a great time to be a pc enthusiast/gamer. Purchased a laptop last year, returned a week later as the 940m gpu wasn't providing a satisfying experience. Told myself to be patient, and get what you really want. Finally saved enough to get the system I've needed for a long time. 15 r3, 60Hz FHD, 6820, 1070, 16GB, 128GB ssd/ 1 TB hd. I found an 256GB evo 960 PM 961
    OEM ($120, what a deal) to replace the boot drive with. Any particular issues migrating the os? I've purchased Paragon migrate, and have it installed on my desktop, so might just use that, or the Samsung software. Looks like some feel that a clean os install is the way to go, but kind of wanted to keep some of the proprietary alienware controls. Any advice on setting up would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to put the os and a few often played games on the Samsung, and use the factory 128GB drive for additional games. Will eventually add an 850 ssd for file/media storage.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try a game like GTA5 or Rise of the tomb raider on high settings and play it on battery. Let me know how it plays!