*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. abode

abode Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm so confused, I will receive my 15 in a week or so , and don't know from where to start the test of this laptop !!!! I'm afraid I wasted my money !!

2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, have a replacement on its way anyway. Seems like any new BIOS is worse than the one before it, does anything actually improve in the BIOSes?

3. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    No worries. We'll help. :)

First check to see what bios it came with. If not on 1.0.8, download it from the website or I can email it to you OR send it to you on discord.

I'd recommend a fresh Windows install if you're using your own storage. Even if you're not, I'd still recommend starting fresh.

PM me if you need help.
    The new bios has some values off in the tables that seem to throw off the voltage transition under certain conditions.

Bios 1.0.8 is best / latest bios to stick with for now.

::iunlock::

Aman Krishna and SimplyJ3sse like this.
  4. Diesalot

Diesalot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i just took a unit from the outlet.

i7 6820HK
    15" 4k Igzo whatevs
    16 gb ram
    1TB
    99 Whr battery

afaik the unit is still in transit, comes to my relative on the 9th, comes to me my end of the planet by the 21st. but after reading some of the issues on the lounge, Am i gonna be in heaps of issues on this? should i return it? i am planning on repasting it or have someone do it for me and just buy the Conductonaut and pads.

5. silverghost123

silverghost123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi,

Any idea why the 1.08 bios wouldn't be compatible with my 15 R3 please, I went from 1.02 to 1.12 yesterday but after reading the forum think it would be best to change it down to 1.08, after downloading 1.08 from the dell website and trying to execute it, it says the device isn't compatible.
    I have a standard build with GTX 1070/ 7700HQ/ 16GB's.
    The only difference to the standard build is that I have popped in a 1TB 850 evo m.2 ssd in the spare slot and am using it for games.

One other question, I am on my 4th 15 R3, the others were returned with light bleed problems, this is the first one that when I am downloading games to the 850 Evo, the system goes really slow, for example if I am downloading a 50GB file from Steam using to be fair a fast internet connection (Steam tells me 25MBs second) the mouse movement studders really badly, so you end up overshooting where you want to click.

Thanks,

6. herc182

herc182 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is a lot of noise on the forum, a lot of which doesnt necessarily apply. The issue I have had is backlight bleed. Returned first laptop because of it. Second laptop has it too. They tried replacing the screen but the replacement was WAY worse. So i am currently "living" with it! On the plus side, you can return it within 14 days no questions asked. We have the exact same system FYI

Vasudev likes this.
  7. abode

abode Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you iunlock , you calmed me down , this machine costs me 1600euros , I don't want to compromise as I fell there is a major problem in this laptop , thank you very much for your kindness , once I receive it sure I will PM you,
    About the system I will use the one comes with it I will buy a new ssd m.2 and I will clone the system .

iunlock likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Don't clone it instead image the whole drive using Macrium reflect and save it to external HDD for future in case you need it. Start fresh as @iunlock said. Its better to have the OS under your control (with @Phoenix tweaks or your own ) rather than Windows having a mind of its own. Which OS are you planning to install, default W10 Home Retail/SL OR W10 Pro?

Aman Krishna and iunlock like this.
  9. Kyle English

Kyle English Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When the repair center changed my screen and heat sink t came back and my 120 hz monitor wouldn't go to 120 or recognize gsync and looked terrible. I still think they plugged something in wrong on the mobo. I bet the same happened to you. I had to get a replacement eventually the tech couldn't fix it replacing the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Kyle English

Kyle English Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    First of all: the battery life is only 1 hr less in the 15 for web surfing.

The 15 has a lot more going on under the hood as well. A lot more display to make etc.

And the wattages are almost identical 15 to 13. I don't know if I'm reading it right but it looks like Optimus only lowers wattage use by about 10? 10/180 total watts isn't a lot under load.

I've been asking and am still waiting for an answer on what 15 non Optimus vs 15 Optimus real world usage battery life difference is. I get about 4.5-5 hours non Optimus life watching a movie. I'm guessing it's around 30 min to an hour more at most.

Admittedly not zero but also not double like most people claim with no evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk