*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. glo0m

glo0m Newbie

Reputations:
    Technician changed mobo but now my 15 is a 17 according to bios, and the speaker is damaged. Will get new ones again.

Also is my old arctic silver better paste then their Grey stuff?

Oh yea the ips 60hz with G sync no longer has g sync according to Nvidia control panel even after system restore

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. Hidet0

Hidet0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm new here on forum. In the near future I'm planning to buy AW15 R3 1070 and i have few question considering it.

1. Is it safe to buy AW15 R3 in KabyLake config. I mean is the problem with the heatsink resolved? Are the temperatures on CPU core safe to long term usage. I will porobalbly use it for few years.
    I also assume that repasting it is still a necessity.

2. Is the 120hz TN 1080 screen worth upgrading or i'ts better to stay with IPS for better value for money.

3. Is there any sense in upgrading RAM to 2666hz 16gb in the configurator or do it by myself with G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8 gb 3000hz, and if yes is this RAM a good choice for swapping ?(I haven't done any ram switches in laptops before but i assume its not that hard.)

At last is it a good choice for a laptop that will be my daily driver as a some sort of desktop replacement. I study and work and 3 days a week i stay in different cities so i cannot have desktop PC. I'm planning to use it for a few years, 3-4 maybe more so is the AW15 R3 a futureproof choice. Should i look at any different machines ?

3. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

How long is the lead time for you? I am really hoping the parts shortage is not as bad as I have heard people say it is.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    1) Read the comments about temp http://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-15-R3-Notebook-Review.196584.0.html
    3) I don't think 3000MHz ram will work.

5. sanman

sanman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been very happy with my G-Sync 120hz TN panel, but if you are not playing tons of fastmoving games, the better viewing angles on the IPS screen may be more important to you. That being said, I have seen more lightbleed issues on the IPS panels vs the TN panels, so its up to you.

The really nice aspect of the Alienware 15 is the great layout, access, and quantity of M.2 slots. So adding SSD would be the best investment in my opinion. I upgraded to the fastest memory in mine, but the difference is not very noticeable. A waste in my opinion unless you get a kick out of benchmarking. Real world benefit is not worth it in my opinion.

I cannot comment on heat with the KabyLake, but I bought the 4 year warranty, so if the CPU burns out, I get a new one anyway till late 2020, so I could care less. I also love fact I can add a new video card externally to this thing down the road as Nivida comes out with faster cards, and VR gets better.

6. LukeS

LukeS Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just got a 15r3 delivered yesterday. 7820hk, 1070, 120hz, 16GB, 512gb SSD and 1tb hdd. It's replacing a 6 year old Clevo P170HM3 with a GTX580 and a desktop with a 4790k and Titan X. Older Titan X not the new pascal. I picked up the graphics amplifier as well and threw the Titan X in there for now. I knew when I bought the amp that the Titan X would probably be a little worse than the 1070, but it's great just for the ease of docking IMO. One cable and both my monitors, keyboard, mouse, MFP, and external HDD dock are all connected. Very convenient. I'll replace the Titan next generation. I'm fine with it for now. They are only about 200 points apart in the 3dMark Time Spy test. The amp is actually what sold me on finally getting my first Alienware. I travel quite frequently for work so it will be very convenient to have one system to use at home and on the road instead of always swapping files, game saves, etc between two devices.

Nasty Krout, shine2007 and TribalOne like this.
  7. Nasty Krout

Nasty Krout Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    arrives on the 17/3/17 im hoping too ha!

8. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been having weird results with undervolting+overclocking the 1070 on my R3. It seems GREATLY reducing the core clock, doesn't really offer much performance decrease. But then it gets a little confusing. Undervolting alone, 1700 clock and 0.800 resulting in slightly better Heaven scores VS stock. But then, undervolting to 0.800 while GREATLY reducing Core Clock and Greatly increasing Mem clock, resulted in a pretty nice boost. Haven't tested for full stability yet but here are the results.

1600 core, 0.800V-
    FPS:
    Score:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

Stock-
    FPS:
    Score:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

1700 core, 0.800V-
    FPS:
    Score:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

1700 core, +265mem, 0.800V-
    FPS:
    Score:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

1600 Core, 500Mem, 0.800V-
    FPS:
    Score:
    Min FPS:
    19.8 (possibly due to too high memory resulting in a decrease? Or maybe due to one of the many background programs running)
    Max FPS:
    200.7 (ignore this 200, the 'score' is what matters, the max is inconsistent, usually around 186)

I guess this is a bit confusing, cuz I don't show how much is subtracted from the Core. It's 1600 Across the whole voltage curve. That could mean -400 at one point and -300 at another, too many changes to list

1500 core, +700mem, 0.800V (Micron memory)
    FPS:
    Score:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  9. NicolasLoriot

NicolasLoriot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How can you oc +700memory with Micron ones ?
    And side of it, undervolting your gpu ?

10. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well undervolting the gpu may be a way to save battery life in gsync units I guess...