*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Nobody forced Dell to choose soldered GPU!!They had other choices:)

2. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yet they previously were able to make gsync and non gsync AW15s...

3. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Yes but my point was they were two separate motherboards for the same cpu + gpu combo.
    So they can do it if they want but like any other business they have to decide what makes sense when it comes to budget etc.
    This happens to call companies.

4. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    While the motherboard is certified are you suggesting that nvidia will deny the ability to have an unused connector. Yes I understand how complex laptop board development is but in order to offer the most configurations at low cost and make it easy to offer what customers want without needing to worry about inventory you would think they would have designed it so that there was simply connectors for the monitor internally to be connected to the dgpu or igpu and then all you do is need a different screen and cable connection depending on the config. Nice and simple.

Now they previously sold a lot of 6820HK cpus with the 4k screens and other non gsync configs. Do they not think there are any customers left who want good battery life? A lot of us who want a gaming rig with great battery life waited to buy the 7 series cpus because they offer igpu improvements to save power. Yet ironically starting with the 7 series they stopped offering non gsync configs.

5. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Thats true, much like Clevo could put in a nice keyboards and make their chassis / lids out of more metal and less plastic but they don't. Companies simply do what they feel makes sense to them based on many factors.
    Besides.. 1. BGA component tech has come a long way. 2. Many of AW customers don't want a laptop the size of a Clevo. 3. Plus again the industry is simply going that way.

illuMinniti likes this.
  6. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have to agree, I was choosing between a thin MSI notebook, AW15 or a Clevo. Clevo was ruled out due to pretty much the size alone, its big. Not only was it big but it costed more too. Which is to be expected with a upgrade-able laptop. But you won't be able to upgrade it much until there's new MXM cards or incompatible CPUs. Meanwhile the Alienware has TB3 and the AGA port, this seemed more reasonable and futureproof to the cost

7. Kyle English

Kyle English Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What kind of battery life are people getting with the non gsync for like watching movies?

Because my gsync unit got like 5 hours watching movie no wifi on high ish brightness.

I'm skeptical that the real world battery life improvements is that extreme?

Also curious because I've asked before and no one seems to be able answer with numbers for a real world comparison between the 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  8. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just to clarify a bit about the "120hz" screen:

Alienware is using TN panels and it is brighter than MSI. The view angles are a bit washed out but it is not bad. You want to reduce the NIT as it is too high at 400. You will want your brightness at ~75%.

MSI is using IPS panels and the view angles are amazing. Also the colour reproduction is much better.

However, I still went with alienware because I got better deal +I got the amplifier and last but not least the alienware LOOKS amazing compared to MSI (I am referring to the GE62/GE72 with 1070 GPU).

How do I know this?! I saw them both and tested them...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    hmscott and SimplyJ3sse like this.
  9. ZeroX03

ZeroX03 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I made the order for my laptop on the 8th, and there's still no update, simply says 'Work in Progress'. Does it usually take this long? (Australian store btw)

10. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes. You will only see shipped and there will be a tracking no. Most probably at the end of this week you should get an email also that your order has been shipped.

I recommend to keep getting on the chat line and keep asking about your order... That may help you getting an update. Sometimes even when the order is shipped, it is still showing 'work in progress' or 'in production'