*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also for those wondering the overclocked cpu should only use the extra "power" that an OC takes when it is under full load. So when on battery if your not stressing it you should not stress about battery life. It does though prevent you from undervolting and extending battery life that way, unless you managed to OC and decrease voltage by winning the lottery lol.

Philosobyte likes this.
  2. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great post with a lot of time spent, thanks! One thing to remember though is that comparing the HK not overclocked at all is not really showing the benefit. The cpu is intended to be overclocked and even at a modest overclock would probably add 10% improved performance. If you don't want to spend time doing the OC, you can use the stock oc settings in the bios to get more out of the cpu. Also if you ever intend to use an alienware amplifier, you will get more headroom bc of the OC and the better cooling when on the amp. Although I completely agree that the 7700HQ is a good improvement and worth it, I really think the HK cpu's are really the only way to go.

3. Philosobyte

Philosobyte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But if we use Intel XTU for overclocking, what if we maintained two separate profiles? One with an overclock and normal voltage, and one with normal clocks and an undervolt? There's no downside to constantly switching between profiles, right?

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Do it simple. Download TS from @unclewebb's sig and create 4 power profiles you can use on the fly with a simple key command. Less wasted process cycles as well vs. the bloated XTU. Why do it more complicated than it must?:oops:

TBoneSan, SimplyJ3sse and hmscott like this.
  5. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Quick question guys, so the Kaby Lake refresh has brought a 60Hz G-Sync Enabled IPS screen. I was wondering if that model still supports Optimus or not. One of the sales guys I have worked with in the past for a few years says so but I am not 100% sure. I know the 120Hz screen model Optimus is turned off entirely.

6. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Today I noticed that there is no longer a UHD panel option for the 15r3. Do we know if UHD has been discontinued for this line?

For gsync to work my understanding is that the display must be connected directly to the dgpu. Therefore it is impossible to have Optimus and gsync at the same time as Optimus requires connection to the igpu to work.

The only way around this would be if there was a physical switch that transferred the connection to the igpu and allowed you to use Optimus and then you could press a button and switch to the dgpu connection and use GSYNC.

7. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    G-Sync is hardwired so, no Optimus unfortunately... Wait for a bit and you will get the IPS with 1070 and non g-sync model if you want optimus.

8. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Do you have an ETA or just more or less just wait to see when it's available?

9. TLS2000

TLS2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting the discount coupons. I used them, plus the ebates and my Member Purchase Plan to order a new 15R3 Kaby Lake at a cheaper price than the Skylake one that I'd ordered (which was delayed 5 times before I cancelled it). Overall, I managed to get the pricing down by $515, compared to the posted online prices for the i7-7700HQ, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD, and the 60hz gsync. I don't really need gsync, but at the same time, I won't notice the battery hit since this system will be plugged in continuously. I only got a laptop so that I can play games while in the same room as my fiancee, who uses my other system to watch Kodi.

10. Petre13

Petre13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

This is my first post here, as i was looking to buy an AW 15 with gtx 1070 I came up on this forum. After reading every post on this thread I must say that i am really disappointed that such a beautiful laptop has this kind of issues. However, recent buyers are reporting normal cpu temperatures so it seems that AW listened to communities like these and fixed the laptops (thanks iunlock for confirmation). In conclusion i decided to buy one, but i cannot find any coupons. Do you know any Europe/UK discounts or i should just talk on chat with them and ask for a discount? (This would be my first alienware so i don't exactly know how this thing is going, but i've seen some good deals here). Thanks!