*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sanman

sanman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its a personal preference, but losing the hard drive will let you run quiet and with less power. The 1TB Samsung 850 EVO is a great replacement for the HDD. It comes with cloning software also.

That still leaves 2 x m.2 slots available for more SSD!

2. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea that is what I plan to do, still though would be nice to have gsync and good battery life on the go.

Yea I am in the same boat but plan to pickup a reactor 1TB 2.5" and then pop in a 1TB 960 pro. I figure best to buy a cheep SSD for the 2.5" to free up money for the high speed m.2 ports. For me using a mechanical drive in a laptop is a waste.

3. Kyle English

Kyle English Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The double whammy is that the computer thinks it's the gsync so the Optimus button doesn't work either.

They are sending a technician this week. Ugh.

At least the temps are fixed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. silverghost123

silverghost123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    New R15 arrived this morning and already booked up to be returned for a refund :(, they offered to send me a replacement, but after reading some of the replies on this forum, I didn't want to risk getting one that has been refurbished.

The 120Hz FHD G-Synch screen has a visible mark on it, directly in front of the Alienware lid logo. It looks to me like the logo is pushing on to the back of the screen and therefore distorting it so that there is a darker area about 1 inch in diameter.
    When I rub the screen with a cloth, I can see 2 visible dots which I assume are the back of screws or something that attach the Alienware logo to the lid.
    I initially saw the mark when the laptop booted up (Dark grey background), it is not visible against the Alienware black wallpaper, and have also seen it multiple times since when playing games and surfing.

On a more positive note, I have received a 15% discount off a new one so have already ordered and getting a 300 Nits FHD without G-Synch which will hopefully help with a longer battery life for surfing and viewing videos, I didn't want to risk the same screen again.

I checked the heat being generated when running OCCT and all was good (Left it running for about 10 minutes), looks like Alienware have resolved the overheating issues.

5. NicolasLoriot

NicolasLoriot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello,
    6700hq/1070/120hz arrived monday, but i'm sitting my semester exam all the week so i didn't have the time to take a look at it before this evening.
    Out of the box all look good, no any problem with the 120hz tn panel. Just a little bleed at the bottom, but it's ok.
    About temps i only ran occt for about 30min.
    Average temp : 68-70°C
    And the core #0 max temp is 75°C.
    So it's looks ok for my unit.
    Just i'm a little bit disapointed with core temp differences btw core #0 and #3 because while the cpu is at 100%, from what i see there is a delta of minimum 5°C going until 9°C
    It's enought big, more to come this weekend when i'll have the time.
    Will see if i have pad update and what's about temps after repasting

Question i have noctua paste from 2 years, will it affect it's quality ? and thermal efficiency ?

6. tlprtr19

tlprtr19 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. Corwin2000

Corwin2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anybody know what is the difference between enabled and disabled CPU Performance mode in BIOS for 6700HQ?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  8. arladeveze

arladeveze Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

How are your feeling about the ghosting and downscaling to 1080p while gaming? Coming form a Mac retina display, will the 1080ips will feel to "pixely"?

9. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I have finally received my 15r3 back from the repair center, they replaced the heatsink the palmrest assembly and a couple of other things. The temps are idling about 25 after it stabilized. They replaced the touch pad with I assume a newer model. Its recessed a little more than noramal ( i like this) and the biggest part is the touch pad material is changed. Its metal like and very smooth almost glass like. I guess they got enough complaints about it. They did leave the pull tabs for the touch pad in. I managed to pull them out some but the plastic is sill wedged in the touch pad and the chasis. Easy fix though.

10. vkt62

vkt62 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They now have a different touchpad on the 15R3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk