*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kronephon

Kronephon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just hope they realize the gfx is almost unusable for any 3d at this moment, and no, I'm not exaggerating.

edit: Im sorry for the double. My internet sucks.

2. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so i went to get my ram and m.2 out of the laptop the tech broke and saw that the tech plugged the power cable in backwards. the blue piece that is for support was plugged. Laptop is booted up but the left side usb doesnt work and the keyboard doesnt light up. he did repaste it with the kryonaut, idle temps are 35 cpu 40 gpu.

hmscott likes this.
  3. calvinstone

calvinstone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    do u have a gsync display and if so u check if optimus is there or manual option for switching to igpu in bios or fn+f7 works ???

4. quickie

Reputations:
    this is with the stock 8gb ram, GPU was+200 clock +400 clocks max temp was 72c, CPU was stock clocks and -150mv max temp 80c. Not bad even thought the computer is broke lol. I had the tech put some kryonaut on there before he broke it all. Its a crappy paste job by him but, it did drop the cpu to 80 instead of 93. WOW they are both at low 50s gaming.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15708107

hmscott likes this.
  5. quickie

Reputations:
    i dont have the gsync panel. sorry

6. calvinstone

Reputations:
    @quickie its okay

anyone having a gsync display can u pls check if optimus is there or manual option for switching to igpu in bios or fn+f7 works ???

7. Kronephon

Kronephon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Doesnt work at this stage, though I see no reason why it can't be disabled at the bios level so it could be implemented in the future.

8. CarbonTwelve

CarbonTwelve Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As an update to my AW15's 6700HQ thermal troubles, I was playing around a bit more with it this morning and I noticed that when it throttled the CPU package power was up to 55W. I don't have a lot of experience with these CPUs, but that surely isn't right?

I downloaded Intel XTU and have been playing with the CPU voltage offset and found that it seems perfectly stable even at -0.2V. CPU package is down to 37W, and no more throttling with the temps not reaching 80C (average is ~68C). Is it possible something has gone wrong to cause the stock voltage to be too high? What is the voltage supposed to be? HWiNFO is reading Core VID around 0.92V atm (with the -0.2V override).

Edit: Someone just mentioned the new BIOS which I had forgotten about. I thought it was only to fix the 6820HK voltages, but I'm going to download it and try it out.

Can confirm it does not work, but I don't believe it ever will. My understanding is that the G-Sync laptops have a different motherboard to the non-G-Sync ones. This allows the G-Sync motherboard to have the display connected directly to the GPU, where the other motherboards have it connected to the integrated graphics. This also explains why you can't configure the 6820HK with the G-Sync display; they simply haven't built G-Sync motherboards with the 6820HK.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    hmscott and AngryScott like this.
  9. calvinstone

Reputations:
    Okay how is the battery life on gsync panels, net browsing and microsoft word basically office kinda stuff also does the aga works fine with no optimus as i read somewhere it needs igpu to route to graphics to internal display ???

10. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Question. Where is the service manual for the New Alienware 15?