*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup I agree completely. What we want is 100% working no overheating bs.

I wonder what temps we got for new AW15 6820hk users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    While I agree; I have never seen a good factory paste job from any manufacturer (Razer and Aorus are competent in application but still use garbage paste). Don't know why manufacturers can't program a machine to leave a measured amount of paste on the dies; we do this with a grease machine at work, and you ever seen the miniature chocolate chips? each one is almost the exact same size from a machine, that would be the perfect size for the GPU too. Most consumer laptops can get away with bad paste because they have low end CPUs and GPUs (if any at all) and they tend to be thicker unless they are a "ulrabook" (aka ULV).

So unless you are buying from a clevo/msi/gigabyte re-seller, who all apply their own thermal paste for $20 - 50, you really should repaste your $2000 laptop to get the most out of it.

SimplyJ3sse and iunlock like this.
  3. BeastMD1

BeastMD1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We will have to agree to disagree then. I can see doing it maybe down the road but what they are doing here isn't rocket science. If you want to get the most with overclocking and messing with voltages, etc. go for it. I just want to get the laptop power it up and play a few games with good frame rates with no worries besides the occasional instability of windows. For me playing a game at 60fps with a good resolution is good enough. No need to push it to 70. If dell isn't up to the task, then they should get out of the business or send me the parts disassembled so I can do the whole darn thing myself.

GTO_PAO11 likes this.
  4. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh wow, really? When we buy an expensive laptop, we need repaste it ourselves? That's your thinking?

K

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    People keep misreading. I AGREED with the post I responded to. That said you shouldn't have to

What I said: you shouldn't have to... but you should anyways (because its the industry norm to do either **** paste job or just use **** paste). Even if it works out of the box the stuff they use will dry in a year.

iunlock and SimplyJ3sse like this.
  6. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm sorry, brother. My bad. I misunderstood.

7. silverghost123

silverghost123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I finally bit the bullet and ordered an R3 with a 1070 and FHD screen, I was wondering whether anyone knows whether a Samsung 850 EVO 2TB 2.5 inch SSD drive will fit in the laptop.
    I am thinking of leaving the 250 boot SSD in there alongside the 1TB HDD and fitting the 850 Evo in alongside the other drives so that I don't lose any storage, I don't know whether I will need to remove one of them.

Thinking -
    Samsung 850 EVO for games
    250GB SSD for operating system (Already comes with laptop)
    1TB HDD for photos etc (Already comes with laptop)

Thanks,

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  8. NicolasLoriot

NicolasLoriot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey,
    Does anyone did a CrystalDiskMark test of the pcie ssd ?

9. SimplyJ3sse

SimplyJ3sse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You will have to use either the 850 evo or the 1tb 7200rpm hdd as there is only 1 2.5in slot and 3 m.2 slots.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

10. silverghost123

silverghost123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, I really appreciate the reply, I will look at the M.2 SSD's, the Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 looks pretty good and should do nicely for the games.

Cheers,