*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    anyone have any themes made up for the 15 r3 able to share ?

2. b.kolev

b.kolev Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is the battery (99WHR) in my AW15.

MG2YH - BATTERY, PRIMARY, 99WHR, 6C, LITHIUM, SYMMETRIC MULTIPROCESSING

hmscott and spiralzz like this.
  3. sanman

sanman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It says 2-4 weeks on their website: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    Funny that New York City seems to be last on the list to get this SSD!

By the way, I turned off RAID and selected AHCI with my 850 EVO M/2, and it boots just fine. I read somewhere (Redit I think) that the RAID setting is actually not supported on this laptop, and may cause issues with NVMe boot.

I was also doing some research on real world benefits of the 950 and 960 NVMe m.2 cards over the SATA III 850 EVO, and was a bit bummed out by what I found. I was hoping that moving from SATA III to PCIe 3 with NVMe would be just as much as a speed kick as going from HDD to SSD, as the benchmarks are kickass, but alas, unless you are doing things like database or backup, or moving large sequential files, it may not be worth the extra bucks. If you read the techreport testing on game load and boot times, the difference is minimal.

http://techreport.com/review/29221/samsung-950-pro-512gb-ssd-reviewed/4

[​IMG]

I am not sure its worth the extra $150 bucks for the 960 EVO 1TB over the 850 1TB to get .3 seconds faster load times.

[​IMG]

Boot time difference with the 950 PRO vs the 850 EVO is also weird, as it looks like the 850 is actually faster!

I am not sure if when these folks did their test, that the did not have a current NVMe driver loaded, or if the results really are this negligible.
    [​IMG]
    Now, I KNOW that NVMe as a protocol is light years better than SCSI over SATA, as the command queue depth of NVMe just blows SCSI away (The SCSI protocol was developed for the HDD drive world, and NVMe does away with the latencies due to massive queue depth) 64K queues with 64K commands per Queue! (typical SCSI connections for HDD, even over Fibre channel default to 32 or 64), so if I was running a SQL or Oracle application, I would jump on it, but for gaming and boot times? The bottleneck there is probably not the bus or the protocol, as around 500MB/s seems just fine, and latencies are probably similar between the two on a laptop.

If this is the case, I may just cancel my order for the 960, and just buy a bigger 850 EVO!

Hey decca... Interesting comment from this guy over in the techreport comments, which may be helpful to you. Do you have secure boot turned on?

http://techreport.com/discussion/30993/samsung-960-evo-ssd-reviewed#metal

WaltC
    Nov 21
    02:14 PM
    +-+5
    I'm still getting this error in Windows' event viewer system log...Win10x64, build 14971...I've had this error in every build of Win10x64, and in every version of the Magician Samsung software (for my SIII 256GB 850 EVO):

"The MagicianSataModeReader service failed to start due to the following error: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source."

*Note that there is no "service" by this name in Services.

What's happening is that when secure boot is on in a Win10 UEFI system then the component reads as an incorrect signature and won't load. The result is when I run the Magician software (4.9.7--and all previous versions of Magician) the Magician interface says that my Sata III bus is disconnected and that my AHCI controller is not running in AHCI mode. Thankfully, though, what Magician is telling me there is false--my Sata III bus is running just fine and my system is running in AHCI mode properly because *cough* my EVO 850 SSD *would not boot otherwise* and would just sit there--useless! Not to mention all of my other hard drives, too!...;)

Workaround: simply boot with secure boot turned off and the Magician drivers initialize and load fine and the Magician software correctly ID's my bus and mode. I leave secure boot on.

But as these things go this is not a severe problem but really a very simple and purely cosmetic problem--I don't even need Magician installed to use the drive, actually. But that's not the point, really. The point for me is that after almost two years and more than a full year since the official launch of Win10--Samsung still has not *fixed* this simple driver initialization bug in its Magician software! A search on the Internet reveals quite a sizable number of people affected by this bug at present--but still no fix from Samsung!

With hardware devices of all kinds the software interface for the control of those devices is equally as important as the device itself, of course--bad driver/controller software can ruin even the best piece of hardware. So I don't know if I'll be buying NVMe hardware from Samsung next year when I move to NVMe, because I'm not impressed by the fact that the problem I mentioned here--although it's purely a cosmetic problem--has yet to be fixed by Samsung even after all of this time. It's just sloppy if nothing else.

Thought I'd mention this to see if anyone @ tech_report has come across a fix for this...? Thanks!...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
    hmscott and spiralzz like this.
  4. decca

decca Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I definitely cannot boot in AHCI mode - tried it a few times. NVME boots fine in any case.

I agree with you about the speed benefits. I can't tell any difference at all between my 500Gb Samsung M.2 AHCI and the 500Gb 960 EVO NVME. I have tried both as boot drives too. Faster than SATA but not really noticeable in real world use.

See here:

I tried turning off secure boot, but it made no difference regarding my 960 EVO. I think it might be a dud...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  5. spiralzz

spiralzz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Samsung, purveyors of the worlds finest snake oil .... :D .... "Pro juice"

just kidding couldn't help myself... :p

6. jarednt1

jarednt1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am curios everyone's thoughts on the FHD vs UHD panels Which is the better choice.

Would I notice a problem by dropping games down to 1080p?

7. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Just repasted the CPU and GPU with OCZ Freeze. Decent quality TIM that I have been using literally for years without issue. Dropped my hottest core in Prime95 from 98c to 78c with the regular fans, not performance mode. I also did not see a spread of more than 7c across all cores with no manipulation of the heatsink or arms that screw down, just got rid of all the crap dell paste and replaced with mine. Screwed everything down to finger tight. Super happy with the results :)

You do NOT need to use liquid metal at all to get good results guys - fyi.

8. Mechanized Menace

Mechanized Menace Lost in the MYST

Reputations:
    Stock paste/pads, UV -.150, and on BIOS 1.08. 10 minute stress test in XTU. Agreed LM is not needed to get good temps. I was getting 96 on my hottest core in Firestrike Ultra prior to the BIOS update and the undervolt and low/mid 80's on the rest of my cores. Repasting and padding will only bring even better results!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Xenrail

Xenrail Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You mind if I ask you which application method you used?

10. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I always do a pea sized blob in the middle of the die and let the heatsink pressure spread it out. Least risk of bubbles then and helps fill the gap if heatsink is uneven

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk