*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Its your power connector. You have some coil whine, somewhat uncommon condition on any electronic device where your electrical input is causing vibrations on a single, or multiple components producing an audible noise.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Actually the coil whine issue is pretty common on lots of models of laptops and desktop's, power supplies, GPU's. It's also common on ULV CPU's - also power related.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    imotep06 likes this.
  3. Maxtro

Maxtro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you know how it can be fixed?

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's usually a problem endemic to the design, so all models will have it to one degree or another.

Sometimes turning off Turbo can do it, set the Balanced Power Plan to 0%/99% or the High Power Plan to 99%/99%.

It can also happen during particularly high power draw situations like playing a game and charging at the same time.

You could let your laptop charge while powered off to charge faster, and when it's charged - the green light comes on - then use it - see if that makes a difference.

You could also try swapping it for another unit, I'd want to try to get one from another production run - different parts batch - so return it for a refund and buy it somewhere else.

Please come back and let us know if any of those options work for you :)

5. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    swapped both hdds and booted up , windows is still activate and all working fine , although the light bleed isnt much better on this unit i recieved today , might do another replacement.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Very good tests is Wprime 1024M, Cinebench R11.5 - R15, Older 3Dm11 and 3DM Vantage who is more demanding than newer tests from Futuremark. And of course Aida64 and OCCT. Stress tests only for gpu isn't enough.

You're completely wrong here bro. The big change with complaints about performance and Throttling came with the early 2015 Echo models. Have you forgot all the talk about the famous 180w brick and the following Battery Boost aka Hybrid Bios? Even with a more correct 240w psu had a lot of people massive throttling problems.

GoesTo11 likes this.
  7. calvinstone

calvinstone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
    avalance likes this.
  9. avalance

avalance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, seems I´ve got a noobie software issue cause i cannot force in UEFI boot from USB :oops:

- i´ve put my m2 2280 SSD (SATA3) in the AW15 which works (jay)
    - i´ve created a USB win ISO stick for install win10

I´m unable to select "boot from USB" by using UEFI and i have no idea why ;O)

So in leagacy mode it will boot from the stick and i can start the install, but i want to go with UEFI (due to fastbook and whatever) but just can choose any network boot options.

Anyone any idea what i can try ? :rolleyes::D

Regards
    aVa

10. Madwe

Madwe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it would be good to know when will they release the revamped one... Well i gues there goes my plan to recieve mine this year lol (4-5week shipment to my country with custom parts - there are 2-3 prebuilt types with 1week shipment...)