*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. loverdose

loverdose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Yeah probably. To be fair I've had my eye on the 15" 1070 version for £1690 and the 17" 1060 version for £1350 for months now. That's why the drop to 1099 caught my eye.

..good thing it was in my basket already ;)
    I have had scan & overclockers confirm that it is an IPS display.

Cancelled my AW15 6700hq, 1070, 1080p TN gsync dispay, 512gb ssd, 32gb memory order for £2000.
    Just grabbed the asus 6700hq, 1060, 1080p IPS gsync display, 128gb ssd, 16gb memory for £1100.

Seems like great value. I'll let you know what the temps are like.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wow, that's a great price :)

Please let us know how you like it, here and in the Asus thread, when it arrives and you've had time to get to know it.

Have fun :)

3. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What's the best way to clone the os ssd?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Over the years I've used many tools, but right now Macrium Reflect Free does a good job.

MRF will let you resize the destination partitions to match size differences between the original disk/volumes and newer smaller or larger volumes.

I make an clone image file to put on a large USB 3.0 flash drive, and make the Macrium Reflect boot USB drive - both can be the same drive - or you can have a different boot drive and image storage drive.

I use it for full image backups too.

I make an image for the recovery image - original out of box configuration - as it's faster to restore using Macrium Reflect Free.

Then I make an image after doing all the updates, so I can restore back to that patch level easily.

Then I make and update occasionally my current image, maybe weekly or monthly depending on usage - sometimes I just copy over my User files to an external volume to keep documents, pictures, and downloads backed up.

Does AW have an app for doing an image recovery backup? MSI has BurnRecovery, Asus had a tool but used Windows 10 recovery last I checked. I would make a backup using whatever tool the vendor provides too, just in case :)

Aman Krishna likes this.
  5. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can, it will deactivate windows you just have to do the automated phone activation. I did the same thing with my replacement.

Sad thing it's effecting more than Alienware. Other companies are having uneven cores.

If you want to overclock and play with benchmarks go 6820 if you just want to game and want cooler parts go 6700 it's about a 2-3 fps difference in gaming between the two, had both on the aw15r3 maxing all games at 60fps on both but the 6700 is stable gaming at 60-65 c and fans are more quiet.

hmscott likes this.
  6. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes it's like no one knows how to mount a heatsink anymore Oo... and they like glue the screen to the bezel and or press the bezel so much on the screen ...come on man, that's just the best way to have light bleeds.

I mean think about it it's the opposite of logic : too much pressure on the ips screen, not enough pressure on the heatsink.

Really disappointed by this pascal generation of notebooks : overheating, light-bleed, gigantic price hike etc.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yup, the MSI 6820HK uneven core temps came in first, but the AW issues have dominated the discussion since.

The MSI 6820HK uneven core temps were rare reports, most people show close core temps, so although it's possible for this to occur on other laptops.

The AW heatplate design means the 6700HQ and 6820HK can both show the core temp differential equally, and there are a whole lot more reports of this problem on the AW laptops, for some reason most people have the problem.

Someone just reported this on an Aorus laptop as well, their 6820HK has the same high core differential temperature problem.

I should note that this can happen with 6700HQ's too, it's just that most people that get a 6820HK are more likely to notice the problem - they are checking temps for OC and tuning, while most 6700HQ owners won't look - they should :)

8. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey it's less than 1% consumers who have this problem :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CarbonTwelve and hmscott like this.
  9. Madwe

Madwe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Its not the pascal gpu lines fault. it can be intels fault. the lightblees is manufacturer fault. the higher price is a given, because you cannot get twice the raw power for the same money! laso tdp is higher but thats ok.

Why does uneven core temps a problem btw? i mean, if the highest core temp is still ok, is that still a problem? why? doesnt the only thing to look for is to keep the cores under healthy temps?

10. GoesTo11

GoesTo11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just received my 15R3 with the i7 6700HQ and 1070 yesterday. With an hour of benchmarking on Dirt Rally, I get core temps of 100, 93, 99, and 89. The average FPS is 72 compared to 97 for a single pass through. Is there any sense in trying to get this replaced or should I just return it? How good is Dell at waiving the restocking fee?

hmscott likes this.