*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Like I said some Asus GL502/GL702 are IPS, but ask them to take a look at the inventory sticker on the side of the box, it should say IPS, otherwise it's a TN.

You could try it either way, you can always return it :)

Papusan likes this.
  2. sste

sste Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On the AW15? No it isn't.
    Edit: Nevermind, Asus.

3. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Except in these cases your going to want the best cpu even more so as your not caring just about FPS but how the system performs at various tasks from file compression to video and photo editing ect. When your trying to replace a desktop with a laptop you are always going to want to go for the best cpu the laptop can offer as to get as close to desktop performance as possible.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    What desktop applications, that most people run, *need* an LGA laptop??

Nothing.

Word? Excel? IE? Firefox? Outlook?

Nothing.

If you have a need for CPU rendering, explore GPU rendering, it's possible on most tools, and preferable as well.

CPU Benchmarking, that's it. You're personal usage. And, you're scores are so high there's no need for anyone else to compete :)

I'm happy you're happy with your LGA "leaf blower", but most of us don't need, want, or would like living with a loud laptop.

LGA in a laptop, it's just not needed. :hi:

No, you don't go for as much performance as you can get, you go for as much performance as you need.

There is a big difference there, and thank goodness most of us don't need a loud noisy LGA laptop as a desktop replacement.

A 6700HQ Quad core CPU is miles above those 15w-18w Dual Core ULV "laptops", and some people are happy with a ULV CPU for day to day use.

An LGA laptop would be a ridiculous choice for 99% of potential laptop owners, the fact it takes up so much discussion space here is silly. :)

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  5. Royce1920

Royce1920 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So should I go for the 6700HQ or the 6820HK ? I'm about to order the AW 15 with a GTX 1070 and non GSync FHD 60Hz.
    I'm traveling a lot so I will be using the laptop for gaming in hotels and when at home I'm planning on buying the graphic amplifier with a GTX 1080 and a big 32" screen connected to the AW 15.

There is more or less 100$ difference between the 6700 and 6820 here in Switzerland.

Thanks

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Both the 6700HQ and 6820HK have been reported with the high core temperature differential, so can both fall victim to the uneven pressure heatplate issue, those 3 screws need to apply pressure evenly across the CPU for even CPU core temperatures.

Warning: Some i7-6820HKs and i7-6700HQ have Uneven Core Temps due to Uneven Heatsink Pressure
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ven-core-temps-due-to-uneven-heatsink.797477/

[Alienware 17R4 / 15R3] - Disassembly + Repaste Guide + Results
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ste-guide-results.797373/page-8#post-10377745

So there's no reason to prefer one CPU over the other based on cooling, just check to make sure you are getting CPU core temp differentials less than 10c when applying the same load to all 4 cores.

The 6820HK when cooled well can OC to 4.0ghz, or even higher, some get 4.1ghz-4.3ghz, but don't count on it.

If you like playing with tuning CPU / GPU performance, then get the 6820HK.

Otherwise it's an even choice between them if you leave them at stock settings, with the 6820HK 100mhz higher default turbo max on Core 0, which isn't much of an advantage.

You don't get value from the 6820HK if you don't OC it.

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  7. loverdose

loverdose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    fml the asus just went up in price by £250..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Shop around :)

Maybe that increase is to make the Black Friday price look even better ;)

9. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

anyone know if i can do this ?

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Not having done this on Windows 10, it's a guess, but yes it should re-register the new license automatically.

Or, you might need to call MS to get an override to allow the new hardware to unbind the old license before binding to the new one.

It's gone both ways for me with Windows 7/8.1 clone drives to new hardware. In all cases I have been able to resolve it without rebuilding from scratch - the clone worked.

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you :)

ex-28 likes this.