*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mechanized Menace

Mechanized Menace Lost in the MYST

Reputations:
  2. CarbonTwelve

CarbonTwelve Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "Working as intended."

Depends on whether you can afford to wait and see what your laptop is like. If can afford to be without the money and without the laptop for a little while, then I'd probably let the order go through and then return it if it overheats.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  3. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    my replacement should be here wensday due to backlight bleed , can i just pull my ssd driver from current laptop and pop in the new one when it arrives ?

all same parts / specs.

or will the cd key some how not work. win 10 home

4. cheekeman

cheekeman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have an onsite guy coming to my work tomorrow to replace the 4K panel due to light bleed. I want to see how the onsite service works and if it does fix the issue before getting a SECOND replacement lol.

hmscott likes this.
  5. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No way I would let anyone touch my system learn from others as onsite guys are useless and have never worked on these

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  6. Inflatablewoman

Inflatablewoman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here is a video of someone doing a tear down of the AW 15r3:

The AW 15r3 starts around the 56 minute mark.

Aman Krishna likes this.
  7. vkt62

vkt62 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Damn. Just tested my AW15. At idle all cores are close to each other (+-3C), when I run OCCT, Core 0 and Core 2 spiked to between 75C and 88C (Changed the limits to 90C) while Core 1 and Core 3 stay between 60C and 70C (Ambient room temperature must be around 20C). Test was able to run without issues for at least 25 min and didn't fail (Wanted to get some sleep) though I think it was throttle a little. Fans are pretty quiet even at high speed. Is this what you guys are seeing?

Lets see what happens after I repaste with some liquid metal in a couple of weeks.

Don't see any light bleed or dead or bright pixels on my AW15 so I plan to keep it and try to see what fix I can do in case the liquid metal is not enough.

Build quality is pretty good and its pretty heavy even compared to the Inspiron 15 7000. I was pretty surprised at how big the Power Brick is.

But the touchpad on the Inspiron 15 7000 feels much better than the one on the AW15.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  8. loverdose

loverdose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So glad i cancelled instead of waiting and seeing how this circus played out. Likely to never touch Alienware again after watching how everyone is doing with their new toys.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  9. Inflatablewoman

Inflatablewoman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have got a date for them to pick it up and take it away, forever. So sad. It had so much potential and the games were brilliant to play on it. I just spent way to much money on it though to have these kind of problems right after buying it.

Anyone got a good tip on what to buy to replace it? Happy to spend the same amount of money for the same specs.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The MSI GT73VR 1070 and 1080, or 1070 SLI 17.3" have been getting the best reports for cooling and performance. You want the larger frame of 17.3" laptops for best cooling.

The MSI GT73VR series......
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-msi-gt73vr-series.794968/

The MSI GT62VR 1060/1070 15.6" has been getting even more good reports - 15.6" are more popular - cheaper - and the MSI 16L13 whitebox 15.6" with an LGA CPU also is getting rave reviews.

The Official MSI GT62VR Owners and Discussions Lounge
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-gt62vr-owners-and-discussions-lounge.793857/

The Official MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5) Owners and Discussions Lounge

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nado-f5-owners-and-discussions-lounge.797128/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Papusan and Inflatablewoman like this.