*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. ThomasAAT

ThomasAAT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So if I understand correctly, you recommend me to uninstall SupportAssist?

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes.

etern4l and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I can't understand why people want it installed. On top it's a security problem(ticking bomb) for those who value that
    All about Security, News, Events and Incidents

Vasudev, ThomasAAT and etern4l like this.
  4. ThomasAAT

ThomasAAT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is also a component to why uninstalling IF Dell dont fix SA.
    There has been several users that have got rid of the reseat message after uninstalling SA, but not with the normal method "Add and remove Programs".
    You have to be sure that you have completely removed all the SA versions. I found out that there is a third SA showed in CCleaner:

[​IMG]

But only two under Apps and Features:
    [​IMG]

Just one under Add and remove programs:
    [​IMG]

For me it shows the three versions of SA when I search for "SupportAssist". After you have uninstalled do a registry cleanup and fix afterwards. Reboot and test if the reseat message is gone.
    Alienware support (unofficial admit) and several users reports that completely removing (both/all versions of) SA solves the problem.

Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    BTW I had a problem with my m15 claiming SA was clearly reporting fan issues during POST - uninstalled SA and smooth sailing so far.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. ondert

ondert Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I've just registered to the forum after I saw the great community here. Today I bought a used Alienware 15 (R1) with i7-4710HQ and GTX 970m.
    I got this laptop for a very specific needs. I'm a Mac user and after I had an Apple M1 Mac I wasn't able to install Windows. So, I'll be doing some basic OpenGL projects on this laptop also I want to play 2 of my favorite games here. First one is Snowrunner, second one is Red Dead Redemption 2.
    The laptop I got is in great condition (still). After playing Snowrunner for about 20 min, I checked the temps. Max gpu temp was at 66 celcius degree which was great. However, during the gameplay gpu usage never saw exceeding %90. (Is it because of 180w power brick?)
    (I tweaked some settings on windows and nvidia, now the game runs at 60 fps constantly with gpu clock rock solid at 1038 MHz)

Also, the cpu temp was generally about 78 celcius degree at a constant 3298 MHz.

Are these values normal? What can I do to improve these? Is there any updated guide for this machine? Btw, the bios version is the very first one, A00, (should I upgrade it to A12?) and I'm using 180w power brick.

I'll be happy for any help, thanks!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I think undervolting to -50mV on CPU, cache should lower temps w/o any issue.Latest BIOS are bad, I think A06 or A08 which didn't have microcode that doesn't block BCLK overclock or something should be fine.

Papusan likes this.
  9. ondert

ondert Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright, I just downclocked the cpu to 3.0 GHz and undervolted by -70 mV, then overclocked the gpu core clock by +90 MHz and memory clock by +270 MHz.
    With these, the cpu temps decreased at about 7-8 celcius degree and the gpu temps remained about the same but its performance has increased by %10.
    Didn't touch to the bios version, should I?

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Skip the BIOS upgrade. I don't remember which BIOS version fixed the DC power cable from burning due to higher power intake. I think @judal57 or someone with 15r1 can chime in.

etern4l likes this.