*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  2. ThomasAAT

ThomasAAT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am following this thread (as you can see from all my answers) and we are currently ruling it down to that SupportAssist is the reason behind the reseat message.
    There is a Windows store component that installs automatically besides the Dell version. I guess the Windows store version is the problemmaker. But I use SA and my AW17R3 is under warranty, so I dont want to uninstall SA just yet. I will se if there is a update that will fix it. It maybe just as well be a windows update that solves it, since there is a Windows component to this issue.

The smalest one (in MB) seems to be the MS store version:

SA.jpg

Vasudev, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No no no, SA is amazing and 100% reliable software. Everyone's RAM started falling out - must upgrade to the latest and greatest AW laptop with soldered RAM immediately!

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

5. ThomasAAT

Reputations:
    So that is why the m15/m17 line up have- and continues to have soldered RAM. Now it all makes sense, SA manipulates AW users to think they need to upgrade to the latest and the (not so) greatest? :twitchy:

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Similarly, there was an incident where AWCC started showing CL17 instead of CL22. Very odd.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  7. ThomasAAT

Reputations:
    Does sneaky bastards... Good it is on software level and can easily be corrected by uninstalling. I now see why its called dell "bloatware". But not everyone is aware of this and dont dodge the bullet before its to late.

Vasudev, etern4l and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I know you are in that thread. But if they fix it how long will it be before new bugs pop up and screw up again? The combination Dell and Microsoft doesn’t look so promising. That’s for sure. Every day and you see new threads with their flawed and buggy software... https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/l9oohc/alienware_fx_problems_here_we_go_again/

+ Dell will always put more work into the software/drivers for newest (newer) models. This just means that the older models will come second or last. Of course right after you'r warranty is expired.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  9. ThomasAAT

Reputations:
    Yeah, sad but true. Its a game us as users are playing without knowing it. And the winner in the end is?
    I have seen several post regarding issues with both SA and AAWCC on the Dell community. So something is defiantly going on with Dells software and Windows. And who has the responsibility to fix the issues. I wonder...

Vasudev, etern4l and Papusan like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can have pdf of your warranty by typing in Express code or service tag at dell site.
    I think they need to install windows desktop runtime .NET Core Desktop Runtime 3.1.11 x64 or x86.
    Then navigate to using admin cmd or powershell C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319 and type ngen update
    Similarly for x86, C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 and type ngen update

If anyone wants a bat file they can 2 create empty bat files for x86 and x64:
    Run both x86 and x64 version on 64bit OS. On 32bit OS, 32bit ngen update is enough.
    Save it as netfx32.bat
    Code:
    cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319
    ngen update /nologo /silent
    Save it as netfx64.bat
    Code:
    cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319
    ngen update /nologo /silent

Just off-topic, just installed 2667MHz RAM from Crucial and my undervolt was causing it not to boot into OS and I couldn't undervolt with -0.49mV. Even RAM speeds were bad in AIDA64 when paired against old dell stick. I had received single rank memory while Dell provided was dual rank memory. Then I found I got EOL'ed RAM so sent it back twice. Now, I'm waiting for ballistix memory or maybe look for new laptop altogether. Its hard to source RAM sticks that works for AW w/o causing instabilities.
    I'll check if dual channel 2667MHz kills undervolt altogether or not.

ThomasAAT, Papusan and etern4l like this.