*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Another gem, they just keep coming, don't they? Of course, Dell would rather people buy the most expensive unlocked CPU variants. Users of cheaper CPUs ought to be punished for skimping and cutting corners. You get what you pay for etc. Disgusting.

Papusan likes this.
  2. ThomasAAT

ThomasAAT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, so I am not alone. And even more AW (and inspiron) users are taking part in the tread regarding this error during reboot. And we are coming down to a possible issue with the newest CU update for Windows or the SA update that installed automatically on november. 7, the day I was first having the problem. So glad I dont have a memory problem or a bios fault.

And glad my CPU still support undervolting even on bios 1.11.0. This PC was the top of the line back in 2016, so good to have some benefits still.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    HK processors has unlocked multiplier and voltage so non-HK CPUs are locked out from undervolting.

ThomasAAT likes this.
  4. ThomasAAT

Reputations:
    Good to know that I have the unlocked HK CPU and still can undervolt. Thanks for the clarification.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  6. etern4l

Reputations:
    Haha, (almost) unbelievable :D

If you forgot your brain while coding the latest Alienware BIOS update....
    To resolve the issue, try to reset the brain.

Vasudev, 0lok and Papusan like this.
  7. ThomasAAT

Reputations:
    Its most likely not a BIOS problem. Because there are several people with different AW models on different BIOS versions raging from older to the newest. We all got this warning message during after 8. December. So after the monthly WU update and the Support Assist update.
    Some reporting that uninstalling the latest WU KB (KB4592438 CU) solved their issue, as others have the message still. It maybe rule out on its on. It have been better for me also. So it looks more like a software issue, not a BIOS related issue.
    And the fact that I have had the 1.11.0 since 30. October without any signs of this message is a strong indication that the problem comes from something else.

The tread I am referring to can be found here: https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/17-R4-reseat-the-memory-message/td-p/7753621

Edit: Seems that the person with the same message manage to solve it by doing the following:
    Thank you! I managed to solve it by taking out the ram, turning it on and after 5 times of 2 beeping series I turned it off, reseated the Ram and turned it on again, the problem was solved~

Thanks to a dm from a techie for this solution, and to you for shedding a bit of light on the issue

Cheers!

Another indicator that its not a BIOS fault.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  8. etern4l

Reputations:
    I see nothing in the above to prove it's not a BIOS issue. The key question is: does this occur specifically during Windows startup, or could it happen whole someone is booting into another OS, or not booting an OS at all, e. g. while entering BIOS config.. Bear in mind such RAM checks are the responsibility of BIOS., which - I would remind you - is a type of software.

All that said, it could well also be the case that AWCC or some other Dell Windows software messed something up in a part of BIOS common to many AW models.

9. ThomasAAT

Reputations:
    Dont need to prove everything. I just say that its likely not a specific bios version that are the culprit since it affects both older and newer bios'es on different AW laptops.
    The last thing you write is my take on it. And someone made a discovery that hold this true;
    Alright, guys... check this out......

"I did a reimage on the Alienware 17 R4 using the latest Windows 10 20H2 ISO from Microsoft. No issues with the Bios Screen of Doom. I started installing drivers and software with no issues until SupportAssist 3.8 assimulated my system. Bios Screen of Doom has returned!

Thought you good folks may find this little doodle interesting."

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Mine was stuck on black screen for 15 mins or so, I did BIOS recovery to 1.8 to fix the issue and on Dell GSET Flash update I managed to update 1.11 and BIOS settings were reverted to default settings and undervolt was disabled so i rolled back to 1.8

Papusan, 0lok and etern4l like this.