*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thank you.. will check with them

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I emailed them beforehand and they delivered what they promised. Still ahve that screen in a box. Removed it from my old AW15R2 after i had it sent back. I had the LG56WF1 glossy version.

3. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    sadly in their website they have no options for india shipping, anyways ill mailed them regarding that.. they have LCD stock tho..

Vasudev likes this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hopefully they might be able to do something for you. Those ebay sellers are imo a scam. Pretending thsy offer it but you will receive the lowest quality possible that just "fits".

5. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    Yeah i saw that.. the way they replied.. we dont have.. but we give u compatible ones, i asked which model, they whichever they have in rotation stock.. ill wait for mail from this site.. hopefully they can ship it.. thanks anyways..

rinneh likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Lord Zog posted long time ago... He debugged Dell's firmware. And pointed out what has to be changed. Dell didn't like it and instead almost trow their lawyers on him.

Put it like this... Asus, Clevo, Msi, Acer continue design or better say prefer bigger chassis (I talk about 17,3 inches size here). Alienware go alone and rather shrink the thickness. I talk about the bigger OEM's products. And Intel doesn't design Dell's notebook models. + Dell put in own oc profiles. Higher than what the other OEM's do. They already put in specs in firmware who is long way outside Intels own specs sheet. Of course you have to put a big part of the blame on Dell as well. What do you think will happen with cooling capacity if Dell next time aka next refresh continue shink another extra 5mm for better looking design, and on top will be the biggest boy in class and put highest possible oc profiles? The cooling won't be any better for sure. Have you seen the other OEM's who claim or advertice 5.0GHz? Yeah, outside Intels specs. And Dell is big in this game... They have own (thermal) engineers who is able to calculate needed cooling for all their products. Put the blame on Intel will only help Dell to come out of this mess.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Vasudev and VICKYGAMEBOY like this.
  7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Asus was one of the first to claim the 5GHz OC with their latest, not sure about MSI. Havent seen it yet. But yet each and every model out there now has thermal issues. The Alienware 15 and 17's are more than capable to cool the 125~150watt Nvidia GPU's around a nice and cool 70~80c even with the hot VRM's next to it unlike the Intel CPU;s which apart from the i9's arent surpassing 100watts. A large cause for this, is that Intel is stacking the design to make the die smaller instead of more wide which is far easier to cool. The chip is also only cooled from the top so the layers on the bottom from the CPU are heavily heating up the top. Its just a **** design which now is very difficult to cool. It doesnt matter that the Alienwares are thinner, the heatsink is still on the backside of the laptop which is thicker. The Super thick MSI and Asus laptops cannot do it either. I have no other reason to blame intel for this. Also they have sold terrible binned chips to oem's which should be flagged as faulty.

Vasudev and VICKYGAMEBOY like this.
  8. intotheblue

intotheblue Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, my laptop screen died on me about a year ago, (I just leave my laptop plugged into my 65" 4K OLED TV now so things could be worse). When not connected to the TV the screen will still turn on but cycle through red, green, and blue screens. My laptop originally came with a 1080p screen but I bought a 4K screen and cable from Dell and installed it myself (where it worked for over a year until I went on vacation and either being lugged around in a backpack or 106 degree Las Vegas heat killed the screen).

Anyone have any idea what could be the culprit given that the screen still powers on and displays colored screens? Worst case scenario would be the motherboard right? Would a broken cable or screen give me these symptoms?

9. gorets555

gorets555 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey.
    I am looking for hdmi cable. I've noticed there are many versions of hdmi cable such as 1.3, 1.4, 2.0 and etc. Which cable should I buy for AW 15 r2 4k gtx 980?

10. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    @Vasudev @rinneh @Papusan @judal57 alienware pulled out the 1.4.4 bios for 15R2/17R3.. hmm or is it only on my side.. 1.3.12 is the latest now on their side..

Papusan and Vasudev like this.