*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    close to 30c is pretty extreme ambient temperatures. thats depending on the humidity near out of spec.

For example when i am in the Netherlands the humidity is fairly low in spring and the temperature in the office at 22c. This gives me temperatures of 80c CPU/70C GPU under load. Even if I turn the aircon on and set it on 22c in Japan due to the very high humidity during rain season the temperatures are still 5c higher. When I have the aircon on 25c with the same humidity the laptop is working even harder to keep the internals cool. This is what I experienced with all my laptops that I owned when traveling back and forth. 30c in a subtropical country is killing for any laptop out there and it an extreme situation.

You had 14 motherboards but if the issues are caused by temperatures it wont be fixed by swapping out motherboards if they are all identical. You can only fix it by lowering your ambient temperatures. I have been following so many cases on this forum and reddit and by far the most issues from users seem to come from India. I dont have a clue how popular Dell is there over there and how many systems are sold. But I do know the climate is one of the most extreme climates on this planet. Those 14 motherboards you had would probably all worked perfectly in Europe for example. CAn you really blame Alienware for that? Yes and no I think. It is true system designers should keep other regions more in mind. But also they build everything according to the reference specs from Intel. So in the end you should blame Intel for that. Sucks that there isnt any form of competition in the laptop space.

The screen panels are the same as any other brand out there, depending on the supply chain ofcourse. There arent enough panels so they use multiple manufacturers. As any other brand.

The heatinks itself are pretty good, the fitting can be horrible though, but as I have shown in other topics thats a common industry thing that needs to be fixed by the industry as a whole.

Not to disregard your opinion, Just i believe you are blaming the wrong party. Or are pointing out the wrong cause.

Keyboard lights and trackpads are personal. I myself couldnt care less about individual lit keys, even though I have a mechanical keyboard at home that has it. Never really used it. large trackpads are nice if the palm rejection works flawlesly, unfortunately it often doesnt.

edit: I by the way heavily blame intel for the current state of the laptop market. If I hard 3000 euro now and where allowed to choose any laptop on the market. I still couldnt choose one. All the hexacore laptops with the latest Intel CPU's are not what I believe reliable and well cooled machines. Alienware, Asus, Msi etc all should have taken a stance agaisnt this disgusting state of Intel. Work with Intel on an efficient mobiel CPU as a replacement.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    VICKYGAMEBOY likes this.
  2. appleff4

appleff4 Newbie

Reputations:
    what about slimming down the pads ? or replacing them with some paste ?
    and do u know about the charging limit ?

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cant be made thinner. They have some sort of fibreglass weave on the inside. The pads arent silicone based and the is too high for paste.
    What do you mean by charging limit?

4. appleff4

appleff4 Newbie

Reputations:
    yeah that messy small threads holding it together.
    what i mean is limiting the battery charge level to a certain percentage (e.g: 80%) to prolong the battery life.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You cant limit the battery charge percentage. You have desktop charge mode but it is unreliable.

6. appleff4

appleff4 Newbie

Reputations:
    actually desktop charge mode isn't working at all. it needs to be controlled from the bios itself (correct me if im wrong).

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its useless junk which destroys battery. Just use the battery normally. Make sure the temps of battery is under 60C otherwise you will have greater wear and tear. Don't game on battery for longer duration.

8. appleff4

appleff4 Newbie

Reputations:
    i want to add : limiting charge level on lithium batteries also increases it lifetime. i think that modding the bios can bypass the charge rate (watts) to reduce the charging stress and the charge percentage to limit it , but how to mod it is the question ¿.

9. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Vasudev @Papusan i need to replace my 15 r2 screen, the current crappy LG panel broke, im trying to find LG WF6 SPA 1 or SPB1.. or AUO HANO 4.2, but im not able to find it anywhere, asked more thn 10 sellers on ebay, they all say we will send u compatible ones, vasudev if u find any good link send me, im checking for WF7 series as well, sadly india Ebay is ripoff 10K for a LCD screen.. or i need some good 1080p screen with right side connector with good color gamut / nits..

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I bought one here a few years ago lcd4laptop.co.uk

Vasudev and VICKYGAMEBOY like this.