*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What do you thikn the bios will do? This is the first time the Prema bios actually adds extra CPU support.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    CPU microcode fixes, Updated OROMs for AHCI/SATA/RAID, updated Network ROM, MEI FW, unlocked menu and optimised settings for OC or no OC BGA/LGA etc...

VICKYGAMEBOY likes this.
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does that really, really matter? I couldnt care less about the updates to be honest :D

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah
    I know because you buy new HW every 2 yrs. I have an AGA that's lying on my table w/o a GPU for a year since I'm content with 980M.
    I rarely upgrade since I use the PC for 4-5 yrs and then buy new one, so those *updates* really matter!

0lok likes this.
  5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The so called upgrades in hardware I quite overstated. As said in another topic in another discussion, i say it again, you can only update the CPU within the same architecture. This is the first time but probably also only time you can do a decent upgrade from a quad to sex core in a DTR laptop but apart from that the jumps where never big and you could never go for lets say a sandy bridge to a haswell or Skylake. So no your laptop does not stay actual in terms of CPU power for 4-5 years.

The GPU is uncertain. Some MXM boards work, others do not, standards are not fully adhered too and in some cases you even need to cut into the frame. Also in general these MXM boards are the costs of half a laptop. So in my opinion a better built laptop is more important and thats where Clevo barebones and MSI barebones often lack. They arent durable and they arent well made. Pretty much all the Clevo promoters on this forum have it tuned extremely well and in extremely cold environments. In hot climates those systems start too fall apart as well and when they break, goodluck with getting any support as well.

I hate to say it but gaming laptops in general are flawed, each and any one of them. All need work and pretty much all work only well in a certain context.

6. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    comparing a apple to orange is not fair we know.. we are not bashing alienware, but i owned three alienware before, so i def can see the quality going down.. and they lack innovation. forget clevo. yes its not portable.. how about razer.. they have bad history. but they came up with something nice. whether it works or not.. its called effort.. i use to replace my desktop every 2 years for past 10 years.. but im done with those things.. you know every country has its own climate shift.. according to that and emission noms motorbikes / cars are designed, they are bit nerfed.. but they function properly.. only laptop industry runs like this.. how many users you have seeen posting a positive review on their systems.. and how many issues people have reported.. and how many of those who are sitting in home using this laptop for just browsing and making excel sheets.. they wont even realise anything until they test out the sytem to the extreme.. im just saying.. on 15 R2 using CPU performance mode + undervolting helps a bit.. but can u figure out why the BD proc is triggerd ?? or did anyone from alienware ever replied to this BDPROC throttle issue ?? nope.. cause they dont care...

Vasudev likes this.
  7. appleff4

appleff4 Newbie

Reputations:
    hey guys, does anyone have a uneven Cpu core temps on the 6700HQ 15 r2 due to the uneven copper heatspreader on the cpu ? does lapping makes any difference ?
    also, what about limiting the battery charge level ?

regards.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had, had to replace the heatsink and thermal pads for it to fix. Not need lapping. Just the gpu componrnt thermal pads are pushing one side higher of the heatsink. Using a copper shim is also possible.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You know I have owned 3 units as well. And I saw quality going up.

-The chassis became better and more on the level of the older M15X series. The first 2 echo's had a good quality chassis, well made but wasnt as good as the M15X, more composite materials where used instead of aluminum. So I certainly dont agree with that the quality going down because the 15R3/R4 vs the R1/R2 definitely have a better made laptop chassis.

Its easy to say Razer is making an "Effort" but it is to design large oversights that go much furthers than just bad thermals. But device breaking flaws such as the chassis itself bending (Gigabyte also had this issue which I experienced myself) and burning out VGA bioses due to chip placement etc. Flaws always can occur in devices with a few hundred important parts if not thousands. But a systematic failure rate definitely points out a design oversight. On which the AW15R1/R2 where bordering by the way with the which we both experienced, burning DC-in cable. Which was a combination of a bad bios, express charging and an overclock. Manufacturers at the bottom of the pack can make bigger strides than the ones at the front that have to catch all the wind.

and why your BD prochot gets triggered? Hard to assess from a distance and not knowing the full environment details, but could be a powerdelivery that gets too hot, CPU itself, PCH etc .Never experienced throttling with my R1 and R2 ever but thats also because again I never used those systems in extreme environments.

My point is, a lot of people here follow the opinions from some forum veterans such as Papusan and Mr Fox which have an excellent repsheet by the way on this forum and rightfully so but forget they have extremely well tuned machines in ideal environment with the best silicons. The other 90% of units that are available are not that great at all as seen in various reviews. If you would expect a perfect experience you might hit the same wall, which is in your case the extreme environment wall. Just as that in my case the AW15R3 performs wonderfully for the same reason. Used in well cooled conditions, good paste, got a good unit out of the box etc.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  10. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    its not one system.. i had more thn 14 motherboard with more or less the same BDProc issue, R1 had power throttling which was fixed by BIOS / adapter, that is completely differnt, im not relying on anyones influence here, just my personal thoughts about this company, yes there are 1000s of parts which has to be designed perfectly, which is why we are paying such premium, almost twice the cost of desktop rig, its not extreme ambient, 23-30c ambients are pretty normal ones, Previous models had issues as well, from my m11x r2 had hinge issues, BCLK issues, that was fixed in a month or so.. im not here to bash anyone, or extremely support anyone, i liked alienware, i stil like how compact it is comparing other manufacturers, but recently i just feel they are not catching up with the market, a good screen, good overall heatsink, better bios, individual backlit keyboard, a bigger touchpad..

Vasudev likes this.