*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Did all that - followed the guides on these forums. Intel XTU is showing 4 GHZ enabled on all 4 cores yet the CPU will not clock over 3.6 ghz for all 4 cores on any test/benchmark.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    what are your temps?

3. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok got everything to work. When I set the multiples in XTU to 4.1 on all cores it ramped above 3.6 to 4.1 - they were set on 4.0. Strange it was stuck on 3.6.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    good.

5. tungd678

tungd678 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just let all of you khow that yesterday, Dell tech came to my house with something that they called brand new motherboard. This time they not only brought the mobo but also new fans, new heatsink, new 240W power brick and also new hdd and replaced all of them. Well, after all of that effort, the throttle still exist as today, I played the witcher 3 and it still down clock to somewhat 1.X - 2.1Ghz after 15' playing games. Firestrike combined test shows the same result.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Contact @judal57 he's the one who helped me fix and resolve AW 15 issues.

7. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    use throllestop. also you have to find the perfect undervolt for cpu core and cache. if you want to remove the problem entirely i highly suggest you to try liquid metal thermal paste like liquid ultra or Thermal Grizzly conductonaut. out there you can find a lot of videos showing how to make it properly, try fujipoly thermal pads. for your model all of them are 0,5mm. in my case i can play at 3,5ghz on all core without throtlling (BUT) without gpu OC. i prefer the gpu OC, so my daily profile is 3,2ghz on all cores and gpu OC (gtx970m as you) and all run perfect without any problem. i played witcher 3 too, but play a lot of PUBG at this moment. in fact my temperatures are so good that i dont need the custom fan profile anymore... i am using stock A09 fan tables :S. i use a steklo Xstand to let the fans take the proper air

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't forget about neodymium magnets mod you did. Did Dell tweak the fan profile or did Winter/snow/cold temps did the job?

9. AeonAaron

AeonAaron Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about passing on my Alienware r2 and wanted to clean it up a bit but I'm having a bit of trouble with the bios. It's not necessarily creating any problems but for some reason when I power on the laptop it seems to shut down while it's trying to post and then powers right back on by itself, then posts, then boots the OS. I don't really want to pass it on with this weird quirk. I tried updating the bios by launching the executable(.exe) update that I downloaded from Dell. But since it's doing this weird shut down thing while it's trying to post it seems to forget that it was updating in the 1st place after it shut down and then boots back up as if it never happened. I read that I should launch the bios update with a bootable flash drive using DDDP. Any opinions there? If not can someone walk me through really quick on what to do with this .exe file and the DDDP software. I know the bios update process can be sensitive so I just want someone who's familiar with it to give me a really quick walk through just to make sure I don't skip any steps, even if it is very simple. Thanks for any help guys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dell Diagnostic ISO is not even needed. Just copy the BIOS EXE file to your FAT32 usb drive on root of the drive. Then turn on your PC, press f12 and before hitting Dell Flash Update plug in the usb drive and select the option. Use tab key to highlight each option in Dell Flash Update utility and choose correct usb drive and the exe and rest is automatic. Wait for 5 mins and everything is done. Make sure you have AC power connected.
    EDIT: Pray to God that the flashing the BIOS will be a success. Thanks @Papusan

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018