*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Do http://lightbleedtest.com/ + F11 fullscreen on a dark room and see if you notice improvement with bezel on bezel off.

2. shafted123

shafted123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys long time since I have had a notebook but finally i'm mobile again.

I have an Alienware 15 R1 and would like to replace my faulty touchscreen with a new one, can anyone point me into the right direction as to what the best glossy touchscreen replacement is and how much I can expect to pay? It seems there are a couple different screen manufacturers for these. So far what I've gathered is the touchscreen is an all in one assembly.

3. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    still in warranty?

4. shafted123

shafted123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    not really, long story but anyhow dell want 269+ tax for it

I figured if I could find it for a decently cheaper rate I could change the thermal paste to some prolimatech and shave some temps at the same time. If its not worth the hassle I could just pay them

5. Mobius 1

Reputations:

with warranty you can get both the screen that that heatsink thermal paste issue replaced (in home)

6. ososoba

ososoba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with my Alienware 15 R2. Started noticing about a month ago

Typical case:
    - Unplug LAN cable
    - Unplug my laptop
    - Plug back LAN cable
    - System freezes and in some cases, screens go blank

To fix this, I have to put the system to sleep and put it back on, or wait for an unbelievable amount of time to have it start working again.

Any ideas on how I can fix this, its getting quite annoying with my system freezing almost everytime I try to connect when unplugged.

Thanks.

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    seems like driver issue

clean uninstall the killer driver with revo and install the latest barebones one

@judal57 should have info on this

8. gorets555

gorets555 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello! Today I raised and flipped my 15 r2 laptop(I didn’t turn off the laptop, I just unplugged charger, mouse and other stuff). I wanted to look on cooling system. And I came across something really interesting. Two fans were not spinning but I heard quiet noise from laptop as if there is third fan. What is that? Does anyone know what makes this noise? I checked very carefully the fans really were NOT spinning. Also I’ve bought used laptop. Maybe previous owner added third little fan? LOL But it is very unlikely…

9. nickbarbs

nickbarbs Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just wanted to chime in here for R2 owners thinking of upgrading to the R3

I ordered off the dell outlet the same spec in my sig but R3, with 10708gb graphics card.

I'm returning it to Dell - it's just not worth it, and actually for my purposes the R2 is the better machine.

The main issue is 1.) No more SD card reader, and 2.) the added length is HUGE! the R3 is more of a square than a rectangle, and doesn't fit in any of my bags! in addition it is heavier and frankly i think it looks a bit bizzare.

Given the exact same CPU config, the 980M is fine for 1080P gaming (and the games I play). for added oomph i have the 1070 aga at home.

The size of the R2 is way way way better for me.. the R3 is far less mobile IMO. given the build quality of the R3, and the metal is only on the outside and they still use plastic soft touch on the inside this is a no brainer for me.

R2 all the way - the R3 is going back to dell tomorrow.

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, the formfactor of the 15R2 is great. It ahs been a solid workhorse for me for more than a year now. I like the R3 too but indeed the size increase worries me a bit. It seems not to fit in overhead cabin cases which I can bring on my travels. I do miss a 120hz panel option. WHen I am at home I can use a 165hz 27inch Gsync screen which is a blast to use for gaming combined with the AGA and 1070GTX. I wish to have this in my laptop.