*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. skunk1

skunk1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

nope..... it locked up@ 87% heard a sharp buzz through the speakers and it shut off ........ no reboot, so upon pressing power it now wont post, just runs a boot loop rebooting itself as soon as the alienware logo lights up (about 4 or 5 secs) not even long enough to physically shut the machine down on the button....

i am utterly pissed at the moment.....

thanks papusan ....... i did already try that, it wont work with my BIOS type unfortunately.

2 week back order, lol...... thats ok, it takes that long just to get through to someone who knows what theyre talking about on they're phone system!!

sick to death of regurgitating my service codes :rolleyes:

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Mx4 is a medium paste. Not top or bottom. The best is Liquid Ultra if you dare to use it. The best of conventional paste is ICD/Grizzly Kryonaut and Gelid Extreme as second place. Don't bother to read test of paste done on desktop hardware. A lot of laptop overclockers in this and other forums have this statement on thermal paste. But use what you want. No one force you to use an other thermal paste:D
    Have you tried to Pm @Lord Zog ? I think he is very familiar with this bios. Worth a shot.

skunk1 likes this.
  3. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but most BIOS chips are BGA aren't they?
    That 2 week back order could be on your specific board though. They told me 3-5 days when I spoke with them. 6820HK and 8GB 980M

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Always soldered bios chip on the laptop motherboard. It is possible to take out the bios chip if you are good with a soldering iron. There are people who can reprogram the bios chips and help you out. You just have to find the right people / company:). Maybe @Dufus can help.

5. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thought so, all the ones I have done needed to be desoldered... I love soldering :D

Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Handy when everything is soldered aka BGA:p Perhaps an introduction to the use of soldering iron in the thread ;)

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The must be a way to restore the bios. Isnt there a similar bios type for other laptops that do offer instructions?

8. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    okay i try to find them
    thanks for clue

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    HWINFO64 SETTINGS...
    Uncheck EC Support under "Programs -> Settings -> Safety" and THEN be sure to go to the Sensors section and disable monitoring of "DELL EC". Link to a great guide for you. http://imgur.com/a/UYC3s#0
    DELL EC only lets you set 3 different fan speeds in AW17/18. Compal EC mode lets you set the fan speed higher and in finer steps than DELL EC, but on this systems this mode can cause higher system latency, stability issues, or problems with system shutdown. If you don't experience any issues with EC Support enabled, that's the preferred mode. I personally put the fans at maximum under heavy load in Hwinfo fan control. Otherwise just default fan profile.

10. skunk1

skunk1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how hard would it be on a dual chip BIOS mobo to design update software that upon flashing a new BIOS file, it simply flashes the primary first then reboots to make sure of a good post, if it fails, it fires up on the secondary BIOS then gives you a message like....(this BIOS is corrupted or incomplete, would you like to flash back to original now or upon reboot)

that way you always have a back up when flashing a dual BIOS board..??????? INSANITY!!