*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just got off the phone with Dell. Man was that a long call... after multiple driver installs and BSODs/freezes... they are sending a new motherboard, unfortunately with a technician lol... leveraging my comp E degree didn't help to have them let me install myself haha...

I have a sinking feeling the mobo will either have wrong processor or gfx card.... I hope not though lol

skunk1 likes this.
  2. sirleeofroy

sirleeofroy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good luck, I hope you don't get a tool of a technician!

3. skunk1

skunk1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this is what i dread!!!

just blown the BIOS on my AW15 with the 1.2.7. update people.... crashed @ 87%

no way to repair!!, DELL want to send someone out to replace my board... I KNOW it wont OC anywhere near what this one did, and itll probably leave me with an undetected GPU....BLOODY DELL:mad:

anyone know if i can replace BIOS chips on these boards..??? DO NOT want to surrender my perfectly working HW due to a bad flash.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    So it is with BGA;). One of the reason that socket hardware is prefered. Hope you are lucky with the next chip.
    This will maybe not work on new Aw Echo model with Skylake? http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/bios-flash-issue.778528/#post-10051222

skunk1 likes this.
  5. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i felt that my cpu holding back gpu
    this laptop used shared cooling which is suck cause my hotwell lol,

i tested 3 hours of assasin creed syndicate, it blow my 3.1 ghz cpu to 80 c!!! even after repaste!!!! and my oced gpu even without repaste still hold 73 c!! i know half of the heat is from shared cpu temps.
    flaw cooling design but better components really can be a bottleneck on this particular model but i cant complain to ask for refund lol.
    not to mention crappy driver from nvidia especially 359.06 the game optimization driver so i have to live with 30ish fps on 353.62 driver.
    sooooo many bottleneck.

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The cooling is fine. The thing is the fan's do not spin up very fast by design to keep the fan noise low. If you make a custom fan profile in hwinfo you can get the temps down to 65c on gpu and 75c on cpu. 80c is by the way a good temp for a laptop. MSI, Gigabyte, Razer with a bit thinner machines run in the 90c's.

7. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    how to create custom fan?
    but i locked multiplier to 31x on throtllestop. i am expecting 70 at max esp after repaste even though its only mx4.
    i know this is the longest life laptop that i ever had, 1 year is record for me without needing a mother board replacement because of excessive heat that causing failed cpu/gpu lol

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There is a tutorial somewhere within this subforum. Currently on a cellphone so i cant find it easily.

Mx4 isnt the best paste though but your temps seems to be fine. Similar to mine.

9. con4n007

con4n007 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How do you actually crash the bios update ?
    Even if the adaptor is suddenly broken, the battery is gonna back it up straight away, right ?

Anyway i downgrade from 1.2.7 to 1.2.3.
    1.2.7 doesnt seem to like my evo850 m.2, the hdd light is flashing everytime i turn on the laptop for like half a minute before it proceed to windows

10. dsigala

dsigala Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    good luck getting the motherboard replaced by dell.. 2 week back order on the parts.

they're replacing mine because of the 7-beeps issue.