*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. kiprasbal

kiprasbal Newbie

Reputations:
    hello, just got the aw 15 with i5-4210H and gtx970m, everything seems quite ok but I wanted to ask if its worth buying amplifier? or maybe the processor is too weak and it couldnt use the GA potential? If so, how may I upgrade it to the i7 and how much it would cost?

2. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can't upgrade your processor, it's soldered to the motherboard. You'll have to buy a new laptop if you want an i7.

3. kiprasbal

kiprasbal Newbie

Reputations:
    well, I guess Im pretty f****d up then

4. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How long have you had it and where'd you get it from?

You may still have time to return it.

5. sabricaze

sabricaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The i5 on the 15 will be just fine for the GA. Unless you are an extreme gamer or work on software that actually utilize i7, you are perfectly fine with i5. I've been playing all the recent games with the i5 without any issues (with 970m).

By the time you'd feel the need to replace the CPU (in 4-5 years of time) you'd want to replace everything else as well anyway. Just replace the laptop. Paying 150+ dollars more for an i7 was not justifiable in my case. Think of it as... an investment for the future purchase. Why pay for extra if you don't need it?

Also speaking of the GA, I honestly don't think you need one now - maybe in the future. I suspect that you are not a hardcore gamer by the look of getting i5 and 970m in the first place... so be happy with what ya got and get the buyer's remorse outta the way :) Don't let some of these people sway you from your purchase. If you are happy with it... stick with it. They may have returned it for their problems, but you make your own decision. Also remember, often times, people with problems post here, and those that are happy with it... are probably busy enjoying it :p

xxpmrong and kiprasbal like this.
  6. kiprasbal

kiprasbal Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer, it made my day better:)) I have another question - just downgraded bios from a01 to a00 and the cpu/gpu temperature changed dramatically. Iv'e played gta 5 at very high settings for few hours and max temperature for cpu was 71C and for gpu 60C while with a01 it was 10-15C higher. Maybe fans are working too much? now it spins almost all the time while on a01 it started to spin only at high temperature. Should I stick with a00, or rewrite to a newer bios version?

7. sabricaze

Reputations:
    Stick with a00 for now.

8. mehtenj94

mehtenj94 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anybody tinkered with the vbios yet? People with MXM cards have been able to push the core to as high as 1400 Mhz. Any idea if the vbios is seperate or integrated with the bios? I hope it is seperate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. startover909

startover909 Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it just me or the 2015 AW15's boot speed is slow even with an SSD?

I have the OS (Windows 8.1 Pro) fresh installed onto the 128GB M.2 SSD on a new AW 15 (i7-4710mq, gtx 980m). Bios was set to AHCI btw. Installed latest drivers from Dell website and some directly from Intel/Nvidia. Latest patches applied.

When Windows boots up, the slow part occurs during the "spinning circle" screen. Normally on my desktop and other laptops equipped with SSD's, it would only spin once or twice before it boots into desktop. But on the AW15 it would spin like 5 full circles (10 "half" circles if you know what I mean), thus delaying the total boot time significantly (something like 24 seconds, which is very slow by the standard of Win8 + SSD).

I have the 1TB HDD replaced with a 1TB Crucial M550 SSD, and then tried loading the OS to that drive. Same thing, faster by maybe 1-2 seconds. Still many spins. So I know it's not the drive speed.

Any idea what's causing the slowness? Can you report your AW 15 2015's boot time with SSD + Win 8.1 from cold press to full desktop ready?

10. sabricaze

Reputations:
    Using Samsung EVO 840 with Win 8.1 (before I went to win 7) it was less than 5 seconds, 10 max.

Papusan likes this.