]]>

*OFFICIAL* Alienware 14 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. xKilXlerx

xKilXlerx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you have a screen shot? Its usually something like this.

@ Samuel: Its something about a TV tuner slot for AW 14 but its good that you have that slot. My AW14 doesnt have that.

Attached Files:

2. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can try and restore your machine to a point before the update. Open system restore and select a time before the update caused issues - you should be fine then. Make a note of the update number and do not install it again if it is causing problems.

3. eaglefox_62

eaglefox_62 Newbie

Reputations:
    I already tried that.. no success there! it was a big update no way of figuring out which one was the culprit. aren't some of these updates necessary? how do I weed out the unnecessary ones?? also have other issues that I believe are all related, so how do I sort this out???

4. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    The important thing is Windows security patches. Do not install anything from Win update if everything is working properly. Only if there is a feature you want. If you are / want to install patches then make a recovery points between each patch. Easier to troubleshoot.
    Try to reset the bios to default settings and see if that helps the processor issue ..

5. Senor360

Senor360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all. It's been awhile since I've posted, but I hadn't had any issues until recently. Here is the setup, then a pic of the issue and crossing fingers you'll have a 'simple' solution for me.

2013/2014 Alienware 14
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5
    750GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching
    4th Generation Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Intel(R)Turbo Boost)

All that stuff is from the order sheet. Anyways, I'm not sure what I did or what patch was applied that caused this, but this is what I'm seeing in the included screenshot. My Dev_Cache shows to be Disabled and Bootable is set to No.

Any recommendations / hints on what I should try? It came loaded with Windows 8, but recently did the free Windows 10 upgrade, and wanted to re-enable the cache drive if possible.

Attached Files:

6. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Enable in IRST ?

7. scytharian

scytharian Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone upgraded to windows 10 yet, and what do they think of it on the system so far?

8. soulvengeance

soulvengeance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just installed it yesterday, everything seems to be running great so far. I think it's much improved from win 8.

9. SamuelMSr

SamuelMSr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would like to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the heat sinks from either or both.

Also, I had found on here about 2 years ago a tear down video that was awesome and very detailed that showed step by step how to tear down the Alienware 14 to the motherboard, I am having a hard time finding it again. If anyone has that link or knows where I can find it that would be great.

Thank you, have a fantastic weekend!

Sam

10. SamuelMSr

SamuelMSr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found the tear down video.

steviejones133 likes this.