*OFFICIAL* Alienware 14 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varun.gid

varun.gid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got my alienware yesterday bought it 2nd hand for $1200.
    Specs: i7 4900, 512SSD, 1080p, 12gb ram, 765 Graphics

I got it with windows 8.1. I'm thinking of going back to Win7 as many system wide fonts are blurry hazy and i don't like it. Any fellow users to went from win8 to win7? Is it an easy process to go to win7. I have the dell orginal win7 CD also. would be glad if someone could advice.

2. Wattser93

Wattser93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm using Windows 8 and don't have any issues with blurry fonts.

Have you checked the font scaling and resolution settings? I use font scaling at 125% and don't have any issues with blur. It could be that the previous owner set the resolution to 1600x900 or something like that to increase font size instead of adjusting the font scaling.

3. trueg

trueg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you want Windows 8.1 to look like Windows 7, change the font scaling to 100%. You need to have pretty good eyesight. I also have a Dell XP3 13 with a 1080p screen (for work). I prefer it at 100% scaling, but it gives my co-worker a headache (he has the same laptop).

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Windows 8.1 is now offered on the AW 14 and other systems directly from Alienware.

I just attempted to order a system and spoke with a representative through the chat, and she tried to remove the optical drive to save money on the order, lol. I asked for a discount and this was her idea of one... :rolleyes:

5. Colpolite

Colpolite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A question guys, I had the Alienware 14 back in July and I had the 1080p AUO panel model and it was grainy and had that yellowish tint on it. I heard that Alienware is now using a new FHD LG panel on the AW14, is it a lot better and no longer grainy than the AUO or what?

Thanks

6. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Anyone else having light bleeding issues? I bought two of these and one has zero light bleeding and the other has really bad bleeding. It sucks that I am going to have to replace the screen it being so new and all. :( Any input Alienware/Dell rep?

7. racermd

racermd Newbie

Reputations:
    I actually had a pretty bad experience with Dell accessories sales. They wouldn't sell me anything to replace the ODD with a secondary HDD because "it would void your warranty" and "we don't recommend doing that." (paraphrasing a bit, but not much).

Then I called Alienware and got someone in tech support. They sourced a couple of the items a la cart but I had to go a few rounds with them to get enough of them to make it functional. In fact, I'm still waiting on the larger non-ODD frame to arrive and should be the last piece of this minimalist puzzle.

When you get a chance, could you look up the part number(s) for the kit you ordered so I can compare against what I'm getting?

8. Alienware-Natalia_J

Alienware-Natalia_J Company Representative

Reputations:
    That upgrade will not void the warranty if it is properly done.

These are the part numbers you should both be getting:

12YRG - 2ND HDD FPC (FOR ODD BAY), ANW14R1
    673WT - ODD BAY HDD BRAKET( FOR SECOND HDD, 7MM) , AW14R1

Good luck! :)

9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks Natalia... I just saw his post and was getting the lacking slips together when I get home wight he numbers. I think those two are the new cable that is needed and the bracket? Keep in mind most HD's and ssd's don't have screws so they will be needed. I have the official dell screw part numbers also if needed. The screws that hold the optical drive in can be re-puposed to hold the HD bracket in. Just make sure you have HD screws..

Yeah funny you get strange answers like that sometimes when calling in about voiding warranty from different reps. Just don't be silly and break something.. if you can use a screw driver I think your golden..

10. Wattser93

Wattser93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I spoke with a representative on the live chat and he said they're both out of stock. I can't seem to find the parts at a third party vendor. Has anybody found a source for these parts other than Dell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.