*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ThomasAAT

ThomasAAT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Regarding the reseat memory message during the boot/reboot process you are not alone. I have it on my 17R3. This is a well-known problem that Dell/Alienware are currently working on. You will find plenty of information on the matter in this tread: https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/17-R4-reseat-the-memory-message/td-p/7753621
    I am currently in contact with Alienware on messenger and wait for a new update for a fix.

The message looks like this:
    memory message.jpg

The issue seems to relate to an update to SupportAssist that is not compatible with specific Windows from December of 2020 (I first got the memory message after a Windows update om 8. December) and throws this false memory message.

You can try the unofficial fix and completely remove Supportassist if you have it installed from your system. Dell need to fix SA.

I will keep SA installed and see if any upcoming updates will solve the issue.

If it bothers me to much I may uninstall SA also.

Pazzazuu and etern4l like this.
  2. Juan Phoenix

Juan Phoenix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had exactly the same problem for almost 2 months ago...

It's a real pain...

3. Juan Phoenix

Juan Phoenix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My experience with AGA on 3070

My Alienware is a 13 R3 OLED 1440p
    32gb ddr4 2667mhz
    2Tb SSD
    Intel i7-7700HQ
    Nvidia 1060 mobile
    BIOS 1.10

My first card connected to AGA was a 2080 SUPER Gigabyte OC Edition, I never had any problem.

Then I bought a Gigabyte 3070 OC Edition, but I could not get it to work in any way, I tried everything, even the multiple methods of plugging and unplugging, both power cable and data cable, nothing worked, the system recognizes it perfectly and the drivers are installed, but it just does not work ...

I sold it and bought a 2080 Ti Asus ROG Strix and it works perfectly.

If DELL fails to make the 3000 series work normally on the AGA, possibly in the future I will go for the TITAN RTX which the next gen games, gives 8-10% more FPS compared to the 3070.

I read right here that the TITAN RTX is fully AGA compatible, and technically the most powerful GPU that can run normally on AGA without any tricks.

4. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone has a 13r3 motherboard for sale (any condition)?
    P.M. me please with offers.

Story short, initially it got a dead 6700hq CPU.
    Replaced CPU 1st time, CPU had issues with RAM, only RAM 1 or RAM 2 worked after reballing, then none worked at all, on the desk, without touching it except the power button.

Thought maybe CPU died, swapped with another one and same issue, it will not post.
    Sometimes it shows RAM problem on RAM 1 and other times CMOS battery issue.
    With only RAM 2 it shows nothing but still not posting.
    Can it be that the EC firmware broke?

Crafted original BIOS v1.0.1 with clean ME, which worked on other 13r3. Don't have post card and ddr4 tester, so willing to buy some other MB for it.

5. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I guess something is going on here. I had some issues like this and it seemed to resolve when I replaced CMOS battery, but it doesnt sound as severe as this. Id get the CPU faliure, CMOS faliure, and sometimes RAM faliure. I did think that something was up with the EC too. And as ThomasAAT is saying, theres the RAM issue on boot. That has fixed for me now too and I havent had the messgae for a few weeks.

If you read the start of the tread that ThomasAAT posted, some people started having CMOS and CPU issues on boot too...perhaps the issue was the windows update conflicting with support assist? Just seems a bit of a strange problem.

6. IllusiveMan

Reputations:
    The thing is that it no longer POST, doesn't output any image. It just shows LED codes on power button, and strange is that CMOS battery code is not going away.
    But the sequence should always be CPU failure and after that CMOS failure LED codes ( in case of CMOS reset) but in my case it jumps directly to CMOS failure LED code which is not right.
    Also, it should POST without the CMOS battery (or if it's discharged).

Also, it does some activity in BIOS ME region, since that the BIOS dump changes after flashing, power on and then reading the chip.

7. acrox999

acrox999 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey, sorry for the super late reply. I haven't had the time to tinker on the laptop since I posted here but thanks for the guide. I gave your tutorial a try just now.

The laptop is still running after installing the driver. I clicked "Install Directly", it minimizes into a mini mode on the bottom center of the screen and it's gone shortly after.
    I'm not sure if the driver has been installed correctly? How do I verify if the driver has been installed and I can now start utilizing the Nvidia GPU?

Thanks again for the guide.

8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You are welcome.

Good morning from Amsterdam.

Go to device manager/display adapters/nvidia and see the driver version currently installed. _\|/_ inhale/HODL/exhale .) and FTP

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  9. acrox999

acrox999 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @c69k : Unfortunately, it still powered off my laptop the moment the driver kicks in. I went and boot up a Linux image and it's the same thing.

My last resort is to buy a power adapter with more wattage. I'm going to try the 330W adapter.

If a 330W adapter fixed the issue, then the new battery is not strong enough to support the 180W to supply enough power to the Nvidia GPU.

If it's still the same, then it was never a battery issue and is 100% Nvidia GPU being broken. And that will make this my first laptop that have its GPU broken. I think this is more likely as the laptop never had any problems with the 180w adapter + battery.

c69k likes this.
  10. IllusiveMan

Reputations:
    180W is enough, also there is still the battery which will still carry the GPU with limitations.

Does it show GPU adapter in BIOS screen?