*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah without a doubt. I really had a hard time putting my finger on it. Have 100+ FPS in the games but it feels like I'm gaming at 20fps or something. It literally feels like I'm trying to move through molasses and nothing that I do seems snappy at all. Maybe it's Optimus, I don't know. I'll have to try tomorrow disabling the iGPU because I've never done that before. But yeah, really disappointing for a "gaming" laptop.

c69k likes this.
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    it would be pointless as the Intel HD is wired to the display. Have to use mDP/HDMI to get rid of that input lag that Optimus introduces.

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Something else is wrong for sure. I used to be a competitive CSGO player, could tell the difference between 144 and 240Hz, 1 and 2ms etc, but I didn't have any issues playing on an optimus 144Hz screen at 200-300fps. Do all the issues go away on an external monitor?

I would start with a deep clean and reinstall of Intel and Nvidia drivers.

illuMinniti likes this.
  4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I already wasted days trying to minimize input lag, which can be mitigated but never eliminated. Some laptops do better than others, the 13 R3 is horrid, its been sitting in my closet for over a year now.

Plugging in a monitor bypasses the Intel HD which removes optimus from the equation, but that renders the whole laptop pointless and self-defeating.

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OK, if you feel that way. For me any input latency sensitive gaming on a laptop needs to happen on a desk, since I want it plugged in (otherwise things will obviously get choppy) and with a stable surface for the mouse pad. Not a huge leap from that point to adding a nice 22 inch external monitor (or alternatively gaming on a TV).

Also true that Optimus performance could be CPU/chipset specific. My positive experience is with 6820HK and 8750H.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I don't carry around 22inch monitors with me to various hotels on the job. Which is what I got it for. Then requiring a monitor defeats the purpose of machine for me (and I do mean for me) otherwise I have my desktop at home.

It was just a lesson re-learned is all. I thought it had a mux switch since it has the keyboard command to switch from iGPU to dgpu but it's physically wired through the intel HD regardless of scenario so it's a moot function. I made an assumption based on that and it was incorrect.

It's still a unique machine, and I love its build quality. It's just useless for mobile gaming on the go which it was I envisioned for it at the time.

etern4l likes this.
  7. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've never had any issues with input lag. I always found mine really responsive and lovely to game on. But also, maybe I'm just in my mid-late 30s with a kid and cant tell the difference anymore!

Oh yeah, replacing the CMOS battery seems to have fixed all my restart/boot issues. I was really skeptical but, aside from having one bios screen where it seemed to think the memory amount had changed, touch wood its now fine. Weird - I never had a CMOS battery go before, I thought those guys lasted for like a decade.

ADD, illuMinniti and etern4l like this.
  8. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe it depends of what screen you have.

I have the 2.5k display, maybe it's a slower one, but input lag is also on the external screen from the internal nVidia and it's very similar input lag.

9. ADD

ADD Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same issue with constant message about memory has changed during boot sequence. Also there is another message about my charger which is not giving a full power charge .
    How long are you running the system after cmos battery had changed?

Отправлено с моего SM-N9860 через Tapatalk

10. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The memory message has only begun since I changed the CMOS battery and has never happened before. And its happened a good number of times since, even though I've re-seated the memory sticks. It's not consistent though, about 4/5 times it will boot fine, but then that 1/5 time I get the message about memory. I changed the CMOS battery on Thursday (3 days ago).

I changed the CMOS battery because the computer would absolutely refuse to restart, it would just turn off. And then give me either the checksum error or a CPU failure error when I tried to turn it back on again. It would then take about about 5-10 mins to get it back to windows again, from being stuck in a weird boot loop. Changing the battery has definitely fixed that problem, which is great, so I guess the new memory message problem is manageable at the moment. Ive never had one about the charger!

To be honest, Im kinda waiting for the day when I press the power button and nothing happens. Something is definitely up, I have absolutely no idea what. One day I'll do a clean install of windows and maybe that will fix some stuff, but I have a feeling its a hardware issue. Maybe one day I'll also re-flash the bios (Im on 1.07) but Im not brave enough at the moment because Im relying o nthe computer to work from home (pandemic) and if that ****s up then its toast.

ADD likes this.