*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Joseps

Joseps Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry answering ages later. Yo have a lot of post in this thread regarding this core differential issue and in other Alienware laptops threads. I have the same exact problem.

I have read about slightly bending the heatsink plate, or changing the pads size. None of those worked for me. My only honest solution was to apply LM. Twice!, as after some time it seemed to lose some properties. No idea why happens but since it has been working rock solid, and the kit has liquid for several applications in cores so tiny. The differential is still there, but the temps have dropped 15C. I would really recommend using it, is quite similar to apply the standard paste, and the risk covering everything but the core with a paper towel and some tape is really small.

I can't help with actual experience with the HDMI problem as I use display port. But I'd try updating Intel drivers and checking they are in some balance or performance mode, as that goes in its own control panel, not nvidia's. It shouldn't lag at all performing 2D tasks but in some heavy battery-saving setup.
    My own Desktop Windows Manager is using GPU1, but I have all my settings in performance, both in Nvidia and Windows power manager most of the time.

If you don-t manage to solve using proper settings you have in Windows 10 settings>Display>Graphic Settings where you can force to use performance, aka the gtx, some specific apps. Maybe you might force the Desktop windows manager to use Performance as a workaround.

I have no benchmarks, but I've been playing for a while in my 13R3 i7 7700 / 16Gb / 1060 using the original Vive glasses, and it's been working amazingly fluid with its default settings. I don't have any complaint at all (but the pain in my back after any medium session due to stress, it is intense sometimes xD )

I can assume it will work much better with the 1080.

gthirst likes this.
  2. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried all of these but no luck. It seems like my IR blaster is just broken or doesn't turn on, the camera itself works and also in IR but without the blaster it can't recognize a pattern in the reflection of my eyes. I'm wondering if maybe there's a loose connection somewhere. They replaced my motherboard and might've forgotten to hook the IR blaster back up, but that should be a full assembly with the camera no?

c69k likes this.
  3. DJARIK

DJARIK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had to replace my 1080 screen because it fell off a chair and I caught it by the screen and it cracked, the computer didn't hit the floor though.

I ordered from here and I stand by the quality of the screen I received.

Hope this helps.

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Dell/ALIENWARE~13~R3/

IllusiveMan and c69k like this.
  4. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just some comment I leave here for now, but this 13R3 with 1060 and 7700hq beats a 90W 1070 and desktop i5 7400 in scores.
    The 1060 at 80W seems to be better than 1070 at 90W.

The system with 1070 could receive a better CPU in some time, so will test again.

Anyway, it's nice to see this.

5. capitainealbator

capitainealbator Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

Sorry to ask you this question but I'm having difficulties with the rear USB-C port: I would like to connect a 3-port USb-C Hub to it but it doesn't work ....whereas it's working in the USB-C port on the right...
    https://www.startech.com/fr/Cartes-...ub-usb-c-usb-a-avec-power-delivery~HB30C3APDW

I saw the rear port is a Port Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) whereas the port on the right is a Port USB 3.0 (type C) ...

Could someone help me or know?
    Ultimately, I would like to order this to connect to the rear Thunderbolt USB-C port and thus benefit from additional miscellaneous ports:
    https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/3304...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Thank you! :)

6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi, I had the same problem with the rear USB-C port.

Went to Dell support page and downloaded Intel Thunderbolt controller driver. After that it recognised everything I connected to it. I also turned off power saving features in Device manager. Windows 10 somehow did not automatically install the driver ... pffft :)

7. capitainealbator

capitainealbator Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you, you're always there to help me @c69k ;):)

But unfortunately, that does not work:oops: ... I tried to plug my logitech unifying USB recevier and my iphone...)
    Apparently, the USB3 Hub is not recognized by the Thunderbolt software (everything was installed with the right driver taken on Alienware site Driver "Intel-Thunderbolt-Controller-Driver_TBT79_WIN_17.4.79.510_A12") ...

upload_2020-5-24_21-25-7.png

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 3:38 PM