*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I'm running into a weird problem with Windows Hello and my IR camera. Ever since I got my laptop back from repair I haven't been able to get Windows Hello working. I kinda gave up because I mostly use my desktop anyway but it has become an annoyance. After reinstalling drivers I can get the camera to work, but the IR light doesn't work anymore. Even with Tobii aware installed it doesn't work. The red light that was flashing just doesn't do that anymore. Is there maybe anything wrong on a hardware level?

2. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try any of the following/or all:

Reset and set up pin code and Hello in settings.

Go to bios and toggle secure boot on/off and back to on, during which try Hello if it works.

Uninstall camera and tobii ( tobii is not needed for hello)and re-start, windows will install all camera stuff for hello to work automatically.

Try to play with the combination of the 3 above steps.

Good luck.

Gabri likes this.
  3. matsjc

matsjc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello! Is this laptop still worth buying now? I actually own a Eurocom Tornado F5 with an i7 7700k cpu and a gtx 1070 gpu but I am looking for something that is lighter and easier to carry around. Also, does anyone here have The Division 2 and Monster Hunter World Iceborne? I'm wondering how this performs with these two games. Thanks a lot in advance!

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I played Monster Hunter: World on my 13 R3, plays well at medium/high @ 1080p and AA disabled.

Havent tried Division 2 on it yet since I am playing that on my desktop.

Would you be interested in a trade? I actually want a new project laptop even though I really shouldnt lol. Could throw in a 1TB m.2 SATA SSD

Ram is already the best the platform supports.

5. matsjc

matsjc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for your input on monster hunter world. I am contemplating exchanging my unit but its probably impossible for us to trade due to our locations. i'm in singapore.

6. rmpwnn

rmpwnn Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

I am having some issues with my Alienware 13R3 OLED 7700hq 1060gtx.

Problem 1. I notice under full load my core 0 and 2 are about 15 degrees higher than my core 1 and 4? Is this normal? I have repasted the laptop twice and same result. Are there any non LM paste that will help with uneven heatsink ( i assume its uneven) or is there anything i can do to fix this without going LM. I have used two pastes so far TG Kyronaut and Arctic Silver 5.

Problem 2. When i plug in HDMI the windows UI unless i am gaming is supper laggy like its using the intel gpu. When i go to device manager and disable intel gpu and then renable it the lag goes away. I have nvidia control set to perferred.

Thank you

7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Anyone interested in my RAM kit?

16GB HyperX 2666Mhz

Just gauging interest as I plan to part with the 13 R3 soon. Trying to figure out if there is interest for it, then I can just put the 8GB back in that it came with.

8. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Phobya NanoGrease Extreme FTW

Papusan likes this.
  9. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And lapping.

10. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, anybody played Half-Life: Alyx on the lil 13 R3 yet?

Wondering how it runs.

• MINIMUM SPECS:
      • Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
      • Memory: 12 GB RAM
      • Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM
    Sounds right up against or exceeding what the R3 has. Desktop 1060 and i5-7500 beat out the max spec R3.
    What headset did you use? Do you have an AGA and what GPU?

I'm pretty confident my AGA with gtx 1080 will hold up pretty well, but I'd love to see some benchmarks.