*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Definitely.

APTX HD and APTX LL (low latency) and very new APTX adaptive are all FAR superior to APTX.

The above (my previous post) pictured free application is a way (one of very few ways) to tell if Windows 10 actually uses APTX with an APTX cerified gadget (in my case Creative Outlier Golds earphones with Bluetooth 5).
    Right now I use Killer Wireless 1535 (Bluetooth 4.2), but tomorrow I get WIFI 6 AX200 with bluetooth 5 and hope to see some positive difference re. Latency as Bluetooth 5 gets higher transfer rates compared to Bluetooth 4.2.
    If not, then at least I get power savings for Bluetooth 5 for the earphones, better speed and compatibility with WIFI 6 routers and also Killer software will not keep bugging me no more trying to install itself once I blink LOL.

This AX200 laptop card cost me 20 EUR brand new, so no big deal.

Anyways, the latency issues with Bluetooth are pretty disappointing. It is 2020 Bluetooth. With music playbeck it does not matter, for films it is adjustable, but for e.g. Youtube and especially games ...what a mess LOL

Edit:

@Vasudev

Apparently -30ms makes lips and talk synchro in films, but this is using SBC and AAC bluetooth supported earphones (20 EUR mpow2)

Using APTX headphones (Creative Outlier Gold) I need -100ms (!!!) synchro lip adjustment in films. The sound is (much) better than with above cheap headphones, but it is 80% better hardware and 20% better codec. This is tragedy for gaming ;)

Will go back to wired headphoens for games only, which is not a problem as I must be half meter from my 13 inch screen while playiing games anyway.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:

So, basically 3 years old 13 inch 13 R3 is still the king.

3. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm telling you, the 13 r3 is one unique machine. I was so happy that I was able to get my hands on one, even if I use it mainly for my work only. I still believe it's an irreplaceable machine.
    It was the perfect machine I could ask for. No compromises.

I still love it more than my RTX 2080 m15 r2 that I have. Which I also like a lot. But not nearly as much as the 13 r3. I will be sad to see it become outdated and become "unusable" for my use case. But for me, it's a collectors item that laptop.

4. Rairch

Rairch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey hey. Not been round here a loooong time.

I'm looking to use 2 external monitors and was wondering the best way to about it. Use the mini DP at the minute. But how would you go about a second monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Digital1337 likes this.
  5. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just hardware installed WIFI 6 AX200 non V-PRO from Intel as a replacement for stock Killer 1535.

I was a bit worried about compatibility etc. but all went smooth. Uninstalled Killer drivers, swapped cards, installed Intel drivers, that's it.

Re. my last 2 posts:

Unfortunately, the bluetooth latency is still there (same) coming from Killer's Bluetooth 4.2 now to Bluetooth 5 LE.

I now get offificial tab for APTX when I connect APTX enabled earphones.

Annotation 2020-01-03 213920.png

However, it let me choose better (DVD instead of CD) sound quality in Advanced menu.

Remote volume control now works (with Creative Outlier Golds Bluetooth APTX earphones).

WIth Killer 1535 volume control was impossible to get working with Golds, all other remote control functions worked good.

Spatial sound (Windows Sonic for earphones) beats surround sound of 200 EUR THX headset (Razer Nari Ultimate) by a fair margin re. positioning, luckily LUL.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    On 1535, did you use latest Dell driver or older Killer ones?
    Use Dell's AX200 driver and BT driver listed for 13r3! Even Dell listed the same driver for 15r2 BGA!

c69k likes this.
  7. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Newest 'driver only' installed through .inf downloaded from killer site.

THX, I will test it for sure.

8. triple_a

triple_a Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bluetooth version and naming conventions are a bit confusing and borderline misleading. Basically, there are two flavors of Bluetooth: Classic and LE. All headphones today use Bluetooth Classic. Bluetooth Audio for LE was I believe announced today and it will take some time before LE Audio headphones start hitting the market.

So the latency thing is an inherent problem with Bluetooth Classic and hopefully it will be much less with LE Audio, among with other new features (such as multicast).

c69k likes this.
  9. Gabri

Gabri Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Talking about Killer's and drivers, am I the only one having issues with the sound? When I'm online, any audio stream is croaking, almost poppin'. If I reinstall the audio driver the problem is resolved, but only temporary. After a bunch of restarts it comes back

c69k likes this.
  10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Sounds like you have dpc latency, maybe a driver is acting up and need to search for a barebones driver of some sort

c69k likes this.