*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems that I have to make it myself.. again...

I am looking now for some time for a vapor chamber basis from some kind of desktop cards or CPUs. So far nothing found in the matter of max 5 mm thickness, assuming I will still use slim heatpipes, the 3 mm ones.
    Still, I need a complete heatsink from the 13r3 model as a base, and also planning to use all 4 sides of case for venting, opening the last one is left.

2. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ambitious, tho you seem to have enough knowledge to do it. All fingers crossed for you.

3. forbyefor_gold_eagle

forbyefor_gold_eagle Notebook Guru

Reputations:

After attempting to order the heatsink with the one better fan and being sent two with the std. fans I now have two new 13r3 heatsinks that I don't need. Not willing to go through the return process to china. One's pipes are dented a little, the other is pretty nice. If you need them and you're in the US or a reasonable shipping cost country I can give you a deal on them 2 for price of one or better. I don't need them anyway. ==>To any body who needs these.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its better to put in NBR deals section so that more people can see it.

forbyefor_gold_eagle likes this.
  5. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Succeeded installing DCH driver on 13 R3, will test gaming. Structure of the driver file folders is similar to 'legacy' driver.

NOW THIS: I honestly see an improvement. Less tearing. CPU 10% lower than on 'legacy'.

But: I installed from here (first time):

https://puresoftapps.blogspot.com/2019/01/nvidia-graphics-driver-mod-2019-10-01.html

Driver installer comes with extra options and I definitely like it. I also feel lower latency (mouse to screen for sure in games).

BF5, Everspace

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have some info, which might help someone in the future for sure.

After installing Windows 10 LTSC to minimize number of processes I still went ninja on any processes that were not needed, went down from Windows 10 Home's default 150 processes to a minimum of 60 pocesses in Windows 10 LTSC.

BUT. :)

After I started gaming BF5 started crashing with 'whea' BSODs. I checked OSD info on CPU frequency in-game, and saw 7700HQ geting to 3600Mhz far too often (max. all core turbo should be 3400Mhz). Logic said that I have to give more voltage to the processor, so I went from -0.1357V to -0.1309V core+cache and crashes stopped for good.

At room temperature of 23C, the processor runs cooler at about 45C during browsing now, before it never got under 55+C. Also, @speedshift EPP 60 in TS now frequency hovers around 820-900 Mhz, previously it was 2000+ Mhz all the time with EPP 80.

Fans do not come EVER ON during Youtube playback ... totally worth it.

Besides disabling all unnecessary services, the key was limiting Svchost services being 'multiplied out of control by Google Chrome' using 'split threshold for SVCHOST' as per Winaero tweaking program, and setting Google Chrome (in its settings) to 'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed' to OFF.

I wish you all happy days off during X-mas !!!
    rsz_ee48950b7a7bdda19927cf8352258db8.png

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Nice.
    But on Win 10 more process doesn't waste CPU cycles if the ISO is tweaked! Its more like Linux where you've more than 300 process running and all consume under 800MB RAM and 0% CPU cycles.
    For speedshift to work correctly, you must disable Speedstep using TS or in Windows.

9. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought new bluetooth ear-phones (creative outlier gold) and they support APTX.

I have a $h1tty wireless killer 1535.

Please Take a look:

InkedAnnotation 2019-12-30 095204_LI.jpg

It seems that my devices communicate using APTX. However, in games I feel the latency being pretty bad LOL Films ... + 0.5 seconds sound is too late. Visible.

Spook the Enterprise Vulcan speaks with his mind instead of lips.

Any APTX skilled people around? I know already that APTX LL is the best for games :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I feel APT-x HD gives lower latency while gaming. In APTX sometimes you get intermittent delays or sync issues.

c69k likes this.