*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Papusan and Wilhelm_SI like this.
  2. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Regarding our pm: Concerning the lapping and other development process (vapor chamber) for the 13 r3 heatsink, i still wait for news from stalker1234.

3. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, thanks, waiting patiently.

Saw this vapor chamber in the new razer balde models, looks interesting but lapping is not visible as well.

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Any movement on the heatsink?

I think my fan is dead so I was thinking its getting to be a good time to replace the heatsink. Have to run it at -200 core to maintain 80's temperature.

5. kr00t0n

kr00t0n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, revisiting the above, with the release of Borderlands 3, I have actually been playing on my laptop.

Annoyingly, my CPU package constantly hit 99ºC and throttled, but my GPU never broke 82ºC.

Finally decided to give another repaste a go, as I wanted to check if my Kryonaut was a bad batch of the scratchy stuff (thankfully it isn't).

After putting everything back together, and flattening the thermal pads CPU side a bit more, I realised that my laptop fans are suddenly MUCH louder.

Turns out the GPU-side fan was not correctly plugged in when I did the first repaste, so the whole heatsink was only be serviced by the CPU-side fan! This explains why CPU temps only went crazy when gaming.

But now with the repaste and both fans working, playing BL3 saw my hottest cores (I still have the differential) max out at 89, and GPU at 80, which I am so much happier with, no more throttling, woohoo!

6. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So far unfortunately, no. Hans12321 asked the same in the heatsink dedicated thread.

7. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Is your little Alien placed flat on the desk or back elevated?

8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I guess this weekend I'll take the time to see what's going on. It's weird because I have movement of air ont the side heatsink but not the back, like as if it's blocked or something.

9. kr00t0n

kr00t0n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    He's been living on a cooling pad since day dot, with raised rear legs and even the most likely useless pad fan blowing underneath.

Just had a 3 hours sesh of Borderlands, never broke 87 on the cpu :D

10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    New Bios 1.8.0. is out. I flashed it as I still have warranty lol and all seems good.
    I will try some gaming later on, if anything unusual comes up re. Bios, I will report myself here lul.

Annotation 2019-10-14 155859.jpg

Wilhelm_SI and Papusan like this.