*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I'm sure he would if it booted.

Drinky likes this.
  2. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tested both sticks in different slots but same issue. Lower slot seems to heat up the ram the most. Can’t test anything in Windows because the system doesn’t boot up at all.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Can Dell's own proprietary system check tool show mem temp? Tested it to see if it throw out errors? Can't even boot into Windows safe mode? Neither in bios?

Dr. AMK, Vasudev and c69k like this.
  4. Drinky

Reputations:
    I literally can’t access anything. It doesn’t even get to the bios and I can’t get a video signal. Basically it’s a brick at this point.

Vasudev and c69k like this.
  5. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Throw those rams away! Dead rams was in my machine as well and I guess this is a kind of defect of ram sticks their selves.
    Don't let it overforce the DRAM power if you don't want to kill your machines CPU as well!

And I guess your motherboard will have also other dead components on it...

6. triple_a

triple_a Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As an electronics engineer I can say that unfortunately when the operating smoke comes out from the IC, it's done for. Once the smoke is out, you can't put it back in.

If the RAMs are getting super hot they are definitely done and dusted. But the culprit for the failure may not be the memory modules, they could be just collateral damage. For example, something else has failed which has lead to the memory chips getting overvoltage that fries them. The CPU and GPU could be fried too. Anything on that motherboard could be fried and likelihood of fixing is minimal I am afraid.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Drinky

Reputations:
    Yeah definitely. When I smelled the smoke I knew it was game over.

Unfortunately I have another problem now. Seems like UPS delivered my package in Ichtershausen in the middle of Germany instead of in Poland. The status said: delivered - left at dock and something about return to sender. I have no idea wtf is going on but this doesn’t seem right to me. I hope they didn’t just lose my whole laptop.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone have contacts to manufactures (industrial as well private) which have knowlegde about heatsink production?

9. sn00ka

sn00ka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure if it has been mentioned on here before. Had windows kool aid its way through my everyday task and install itself, On 1809 which i immediately reverted back too yielded me temperatures of 39-53c @ the cpu & 50-54c @ the pch while watching streams at 1080p60fps. Now onto this junk update, 1903. Doing the same actions my CPU was @ 49-60c+ and 57-65c @ the pch.. Consistently.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  10. sagman76

sagman76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Recent owner of a mint 'as new' Oled 7700hq. It looks unused which is great. Ive now read all 849 pages! Quite entertaining at times.
    I had up to 15-20 degrees core differential. My temps initially not too bad on CPU late 70s but GPU hitting 92. With knowledge gained here and some bravery to open her up(never done before) I repasted with mx4 as had some lying around. Undervoltrd CPU , IGPU etc to -.135 ish with TS. CPU was bit lower 70s but only 5 degrees max at any time. GPU still 90 though.
    Ordered Gelid pads as recommended and some Grizzly Kryonaut (too amature for LM. Scares me) I applied the 1mm and. 0.5mm as recommended. Repasted and closed her up. Seems worse CPU differential OK but CPU and GPU late 80s early 90s under stress testing and gaming. I didn't change the CPU pads with. 5mm. I resd Gelids need a bit of time. Any ideas or should I open up pad the CPU and repaste? Or leave. Thank in advance and sorry for the essay but wanted to give some background.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk