*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. kr00t0n

kr00t0n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch, I'll have a crack at it this weekend.

2. kr00t0n

kr00t0n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, that was stressful!

I probably didn't do the greatest job as I don't have nicely dust-free environment, and I messed up the kryonaut a bit as I had never used it before.

Pads were fine though.

My temps have vastly improved, but I suffer from the dreaded core differential :(

Full-blown Prime95 with fans on max sees the 2 worst cores on my 6700HQ peak at 92C, but average 88C. The 2 good cores peak at 80C, average at 76C. Stupid crap heatsink! Stopping Prime and leaving the fans at max see temps drop to 50 on all cores in 10 seconds, and continue to drop slowly after that to 45C.

PCH peaks at 73C, so at least that is good. And my keyboard is noticeably cooler to touch than before.

Ran the newest Unigine test at max settings, and GPU only hit 74C which is good too.

Looks like my only option would be a whole new heatsink, but realistically, nothing I actually do will stress my machine as much as Prime, so I'm happy with the results.

c69k likes this.
  3. triple_a

triple_a Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My battery is done. Wear level has jumped to 32% and the power button starts blinking at 25% charge and then the charge level jumps from 25% to like 5 or 6% and then the laptop shuts itself off.

I mainly keep this thing plugged whenever I'm doing intensive stuff like rendering or gaming and many times I have the AGA connected. But when I'm just browsing I like to use the battery so that it gets a workout every now and then. This laptop is about 2 years old. I've never had an original battery crap out like this on my. Gotta get a new one...

4. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe another solution would be to use M2*5 or M2*6 screws to tighten the heatsink. Worked for me tho.

5. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cores 0 and 2 are high? If yes, you need to open up and flatten the pad above processor even more to 0.1-0.2 mm.

6. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Before you get a new one, verify that the battery is actually degraded.

I'm grappling this issue right now with Dell and I honestly don't know what is more accurate.

Basically, my new replacement battery from Jan 2019 degraded rapidly to 15.5% 2 weeks ago then to 23.5% over last weekend. I did a test to confirm it's the battery and not the controller IC. Funnily enough, when the % hit zero, the laptop kept going at idle for approximately 80 minutes at a consumption of 12.5W average consumption as measured by HWinfo.

By my calculations, a degradation of 23.5% means a deficit of 17.68wh. By my imprecise estimate, I used 16.66wh which suggests the true battery degradation is around 2%-4%.

This got me thinking that either the measurement IC is busted or has extremely conservative criteria for what it considers to be a fully operative cell so it errs on the side of caution. Either way, it's still annoying because I have to completely disable the reserve power to prevent auto-shutdown 1.3hrs ahead of time.

I lodged a complaint with Dell to see what the issue is, hopefully my petition for an option to fully disable ExpressCharge also gets considered.

So I'm in the middle of figuring out ways to stop the ExpressCharge function on this laptop. My only conclusion so far is to resort to a hardware fix.
    Does anyone have a 13 or 15 model with a 130W adaptor? If so would I be able to request a HWinfo charge readout for the battery when Express Charge is set to AUTO in the BIOS?
    I have a theory that ExpressCharge is not enabled or severely curtailed on the 130W adaptor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2019
    triple_a and hans12321 like this.
  7. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm getting frustrated with my thermals. After repadding and repasting I'm back to the same bad performance. In Battlefront 2 my GPU will hit 87c consistently with peaks of 89c. My CPU peaks at 85c but stays around 75c, but with 10c core differentials. I might need to actually bend my heatsink to have it perform normally? I don't really know what to do here.

8. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Remove all pads and apply a very thin layer of thermal paste and tighten the heatsink, then remove the heatsink and take a look.
    Post some images here if you can.

In my AW13 the CPU die contact with heatsink is really awful, I am doing a proper lapping, which takes time, basically each step approaches to a better contact and temps drop each time by 3-7C average. So far I am at almost 10C difference before I began this process.
    In the end, a new heatsink always needs lapping, so don't expect to do much better than yours.

upload_2019-7-24_8-48-8.png
    upload_2019-7-24_8-48-31.png

In the end I want to get something like this on my lapped 1080, and this is not thermal paste, this is an imprint of the die itself. Still some little improvement can be done but it is really harder and harder.
    upload_2019-7-24_8-49-20.png

9. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How is this imprint possible?

10. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I guess (microparticles from thermal paste + good contact + nominal pressure of the heatsink onto the die) do make a "imprint" on the heatsink.

I use some normal thermal paste, temps never went above 80C under max load with max fans (with a 8086k).
    I wonder if i'd have some great thermal paste then temps would drop even more.