*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. forbyefor_gold_eagle

forbyefor_gold_eagle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There may be something else going on as I noted my battery has gone from 2% wear to 15.4% wear in a couple of days. Doing a battery report reveals the battery went down twice coinciding with the days I took her out using on battery. Weird.Core temps are the same or within a degree.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Was it stock battery or replacement battery? If its stock they are much worse and have massive wear level after slight to medium usage.

forbyefor_gold_eagle likes this.
  3. forbyefor_gold_eagle

Reputations:
    It's actually a replacement which I got shortly before my original warranty ran out. Which makes this really suck because now I'm almost right back where I started. This is (another) motherboard replacement since my camera stopped working(right after I extended my warranty, fortunately), I believe it was cause by the LCD connector on the board. Dell replaced my board and the OLED assembly in any case. Hope it doesn't have to go back again, man oh man.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. brf4n

brf4n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wanted to ask a question to anyone gaming on this laptop with the trackpad, for casual stuff.

Do you notice a stuttery, jittery mouse look in 1st and 2rd person games? Witcher 3 at all, but others, yes.

The WASD keys move fine and smooth for 60fps (it's determined in the overlay i am using), but when i look around with the trackpad, it's incredibly jittery. My 15r4 does not have this problem, and was wondering if there was a fix for the 13r3. On the 13r3 I have checked everything to no avail: mouse acceleration, g-sync, refresh rate, trackpad driver, etc. If I play games with a controller, the camera moves smoothly.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  5. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello everyone!

I am in a bit of trouble, in my aw13 are some burned out smd components on the RAM power. Both RAMs are dead maybe CPU as well... All voltages are up except on RAM, CPU cores and iGPU.

Looked over the internet but couldn't find a hires picture to see SMD markings. Can someone please help me to identify what components are on the board with a hires pic of that section? I would really appreciate it.
    upload_2019-6-14_9-0-11.png

Edit:
    Nevermind, I identified somehow the burned out SMDs, repaired the burned wires on the MB replaced SMDs and 1.2 V on DRAM went up, CPU is alive and the laptop works fine!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Drinky likes this.
  6. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had my battery replaced twice as well and wear is going up again despite it being plugged in nearly 24/7. I noticed that whilst gaming it could drain the battery sometimes. I guess that's where the wear is coming from, the adapter can't really keep up.

Damn, I really have to replace my thermal pads and grease again. My CPU usually stays around 79C but my GPU jumps to 89C now unless I undervolt, which only brings it down to 83-85C.

Which thickness pads did you use where? Maybe a pic and overview would be nice :)

Vasudev and forbyefor_gold_eagle like this.
  7. forbyefor_gold_eagle

Reputations:

Actually I think I discovered the problem. I had installed a Citrix Reciever virtual desktop software to access my work machine. Necessary for the way they've set up the office portal. I found that despite shutting down the app when not in use, it remained active in the task mgr. When I shut down the tasks for that app, my temps weren't perfect, but much more reasonable. about 73-79 CPU and 81-86 GPU OC'ed when playing Wildlands at high + GR. And about 37 CPU on idle battery running at system clock with all the power settings low. It's worth noting, however, that that app running when it shouldn't also caused the CPU to run on battery at idle at about 57 C. 20 higher than it should and most likely caused the wear to appear on the battery. High current draw?

The pads I used are the Gelids 1mm. I pre-compressed the pads for the memory to about 0.69mm by compressing them down one side and then down the other at 90 degrees with a very precise calipers. Then checking with pressure paper (the artic kit) and adjusting until both CPU and GPU papers showed good contact pattern. I used artic 0.5mm on the CPU clocks and VRMS since the 1mm is too much material to compress that much and still pre-compressed those as well. Didn't take any pics unfortunately. I will say the Gelids do feel sort of 'doughy' so they will compress and take a set, but I don't think they will compress enough by themselves without pre-compressing with on the sink pressure. I need to give UV a shot on the CPU I haven't tried that so far.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. IllusiveMan

Reputations:
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The second should be an original battery.

Replacements can be good but also really bad depending on the cell in use and that is impossible to check beforehand.

IllusiveMan likes this.
  10. IllusiveMan

Reputations:
    Thanks!