*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. msrDigit

msrDigit Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi again,

to me it looks that the CPU bottlenecks the GPU now. Testing Quake Champions atm, and playing on 144hz.
    Got the i7-7700HQ and a RTX 2080 in the aga.
    The GPU never gets 100% usage and the CPU is at 80-100%. Hopefully it is driver related.

Does anyone got some experiences with the 13 R3 and a RTX2070 or 1080ti with high fps?

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I dont know if I would expect to fully saturate the 2080 with an i7 7700hq, you can only realistically run 3.4Ghz.

Does anyone else get temperature differential with the AW 13 R3? I get about a 12C variance. Core 0 (12C) and Core 2 (7C) with the other two cores running the same temp of 63C.

I am using the mentioned configuration a couple of pages ago in regards to thermal pads as well. Should I be looking for a new heatsink or do I just need to continue tweaking the installation?

Oh and I am also using traditional thermal paste, NT-H1.

Thanks everyone for any insights you can share

c69k and Vasudev like this.
  3. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cores 0 and 2, based on temperature difference of 12C are not having good contact with heat-sink, which is caused by pads being too thick on processor side.

cpu core numbering.jpg

I removed the DELL CPU pads and used Gelid pads 0.5 mm, compressed them to fit by pressing heat-sink above the pads while AIDA64 [fpu+Gpu(s)] selected and running. This only if you do not want to wait a few days gaming for them to re-adjust themselves.

In either case, Gelids compress good under heat and pressure (only one way) and stay like that and do not come back to original thickness. Ever.:vbthumbsup:

On GPU side, just for completeness, I used all 1mm Gelids. I also use Conductonaut, but this should not really matter getting the pads fit good.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yep I used 0.5mm pads and still pretty high differential. I will try applying some pads under the bottom lid to help press it and see what happens.

5. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That doesn't really work. You most likely need to twist the heatsink. The gpu side will win over the cpu side everytime. While holding both of the copper plate areas (cpu, gpu), twist the cpu side where the thermal pads are down. (This is looking at the black side NOT the side where the thermal pads are) . So core 0,2 will receive more pressure.

c69k and TheReciever like this.
  6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing everyone, I will try the twist method probably tomorrow afternoon when I get off of work along with compressing the thermal pads a bit more.

7. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you use Gelids?

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yep! Only difference really is that I'm not using LM.

I will take a picture of the die as well just to give full context of the scenario at play.

c69k likes this.
  9. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I have an Intel 660p 2tb NVMe and 500gb Samsung 970 Pro in my 13 R3. Would these work as heat sinks for the ssds? https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Heatsink-2-Kalolary-Radiator-Radiation/dp/B07K9MF25F/

There looks to be a bit of clearance and I would imagine these are actually better than the official Dell ones. Has anyone put heat sinks in for NVMes in the 13 R3?

edit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Y5DZ4N/ this might be even better

I am repasting this week, I have stock paste/pads as I've bought mine second hand. After about 50 minutes of AIDA64, I identified that core 0 and 2 are running much hotter than 1 and 3. Your post is very informative and helpful and I'll take that into account when I do the repaste! I'm using gelids and kryonaut.

Edit:
    Was helping someone on reddit with their 13 R3. Figure I'll copy/paste it over in case it helps anyone:
    Bench with Aida64 system stability test, stress everything except your hard drives (not worth the usage on those). Have HWMonitor and GPU-Z open at the same time to monitor. Start the stability test and see what your temps are. In GPU-Z, pay close attention in the sensors tab to "PerfCap Reason" and GPU temp. Those will be useful to identify what is going wrong on the GPU side.

Now, open ThrottleStop. Go into FIVR and click CPU Core. Unlock adjustable voltage and go to Offset voltage. I was able to get -135.7 core and cache offset voltage, but I've heard others getting more and others getting less. Start with -125 and increase a tick. You'll know if it is stable or not since you should be running AIDA64 at the same time. You may get some reboots, no big deal.

Also make sure to undervolt the Intel GPU. I set mine to -125 offset voltage. I could probably push it further, but I'm happy with my results. That actually had a huge effect on my temps. Apply all the voltage settings and see if you are stable.

Then use MSI Afterburner, go into settings and unlock adjustable voltages. Then at the main screen, hit Ctrl+F. You'll have the curve shown. Click and drag and use arrow keys to adjust. I set mine to 1898 mhz at 831mV, straight across after that. I have a nice sharp incline prior to that point.

With this, I'm able to bench in AIDA64 without ever hitting thermal throttling. My CPU temps stay in the low 80s/mid 70s while the GPU stays in the 60s. I also have a small overclock of the GPU, so I get some extra performance. It is pretty impressive actually.

It is remarkable how good the 13 R3 is thermally with some tweaking. I have gelid pads and kryonaut paste ready to go, but I don't even think I'll bother since I'm still happy with my temps.

I'll reiterate one thing that is easily forgotten: undervolt the integrated intel GPU. In games it won't matter much since it won't be used, but in benchmarks it stresses both GPUs. It really heats the CPU up and will give make you throttle during stress tests.
    References:
    Thanks to Bob Of All Trades for basically all of this knowledge.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  10. brunks

brunks Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I've got a question for all of you using throttlestop already. Do you happen to check up on your CPU sleep states?
    My package C State never goes above C3 which is really disappointing and results in bad battery life, compared to lets say my XPS 13 2-in-1 9365 which usually idles at C10. I've tried reinstalls and a selection of different drivers everywhere(my XPS needed special 8265 wireless card drivers for the CPU to sleep properly). I am now running a 9260 Intel card in this puppy(13r3) as Killer has been horrid ever since the beginning and I was really hopeful that replacing it might change the situation with the C states, but no dice.
    You can find the CPU C states under the C10 button in throttlestop, my cores do infact go to C7, but the entire package never goes above C3, please do share your findings.

Thanks!