*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also, how much free space you have?

Annotation 2019-03-30 105809.jpg

2. Arthman

Arthman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got 38gb free, HWInfo says 44 degrees but it didn't change when i ran the benchmark so am not sure if it was a live reading. I just put a 500gb samsung 860 evo in as a storage drive so I could transfer some files to that I guess. I have a few other minor issues I might ask about too.

Nothing serious just coil wine and fans often spin up at like 5-10% cpu load, also is 2.5 hrs battery showing on battery bar okay for an i7 1050 ti model?

Thanks

c69k likes this.
  3. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Arthman

I had similar problem with XG5 when using it as system drive, have used it for a year and writes went to 400-500 MiB/s (even with Windows 10 fresh install on it).

Then I bought Samsung 970 PRO made it system drive, and now I use XG5 as storage for files.
    Only after secure erasing and having, say 80+ GB free space on it, it ran 1.05 GB/s writes precisely.
    I checked now in ATTO, my free space on XG5 is 15 GB and writes were 200-300 MB/s LOL And temperature in HWINFO64 was 59C and wear 88%.

The rest of your questions .. fans turn on at 60C and turn off (slowly) when CPU or GPU is under 50C for some time (~20 seconds).
    Coil whine I have too, do not care, always music on, or headphones.
    Battery ... never used it.

4. Arthman

Arthman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    will the slow write speeds effect game loading times? I don't mind if it's just the install speed.

5. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. forbyefor_gold_eagle

forbyefor_gold_eagle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    HwInfo64 has fps monitor now , if you have the time, record about 30 min of you're most demanding gameplay and make a graph or some type of output, I'd love to know if there is a significant difference in real performance

Vasudev, c69k and hans12321 like this.
  7. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is an immaculate 13 R3 OLED i7-7700, GTX 1060, with Amp + 1080 for $1500 a good deal? Used and out of warranty. Has a skin on it and looks to be perfect condition.

Thinking I'm going to forgo the Legion 15" and use the 13 R3 OLED as a daily driver if it is a good deal. I had an R3 a few years ago with a 6700 and loved it, but sold it because at the time I had a bit different priorities :p

c69k likes this.
  8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I play all my games capped at 60 FPS with Vsync OFF. In every game where I got previously default power throttling (@78W), especially in scenarios where I needed CONSISTENT frames there were frame drops and stuttering to under 60 FPS.

Since I flashed the 110W-130W power limit, all is smooth in such scenarios, and GPU stays the same clocks CONSTANTLY. I have not had time to test extensively yet, as I wait for a 330W power brick to be delivered, after I get it, I can go higher with voltages and test more extensively what the machine can do. Highest temperature on GPU I got was 85C at 115W spikes. The wattage really only momentarily spikes to over 100W, normally stays around 70W-85W.

All I can say, though, that system is stable, games play definitely better than before. The above mod was to get rid of minimum frames drops, not really to get any significantly higher FPS (60 FPS frame-cap).

Regarding thermal throttling, my target clock is 1911 Mhz @.912V +400 mem in MSI afterburner. It stays like this till 70C is reached, then I drop to a constant 1898Mhz and there are no more down-clocks. Most down-clocks were there because of power limit reached, which I never seen anymore since I flashed.

I am not going back to default wattage for sure. I might go higher frequencies on GPU and memory to see the difference.

I know I might not answer your question, but after I get the larger power brick, I can play around and see what this laptop can do.

So far, it is amazing boost, because having hard-coded power throttling while me being always under 70C is simply unnecessary.

But I understand (?) DELL, as the machines straight out of factory run hot.

Again, totally worth the effort and investment.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  9. Lawrenzza

Lawrenzza Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    (TRYING MY BEST TO GET THE MOST BATTERY LIFE)
    i know the screen is OLED 2048 x 1440.
    does changing the resolution to 1080p, reduces the strain on the laptop battery? or it makes no different.

thanks

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Switch to black/dark background and Dark UI theme and it should save some 5W.