*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Worked like a charm - thanks! (and to propeldragon!)

propeldragon and c69k like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But your colleague might find it easier to physical hacks by taking your HDD by disassembling the PC. Haha...
    I use Windows update blocker to block all updates. Optionally you can use NSudo in trusted Installer privilege to disable WU,BITS,Update Medic and Update assistant services permanently and enable them before updating W7.

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has the CPU temp discrepancy been solved? I noticed the CPU die is actually convex a little making near impossible to create even temps. I'll have 3 hotter cores and one extremely cool core. The differential is 10c tops, but the coolest core is obviously what I would prefer to see across all cores lol.

I don't feel good about LM here has it the likelihood of it spilling out increases a bit now that the contact is slightly compromised.

4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    It's never gonna be perfectly even (design related), but you can greatly reduce the temp gap between the cores by applying more mounting pressure. All you need to do is bend the mounting 'arms' of the heatsink outward. Just a little bit, not too much. This reduced the discrepancy on my machine from 10C to 4-5C under load and 5-6C to 1-2C idle. Not to mention that the load temps dropped to below 80C for both the CPU and GPU which never happened before (was hitting high 80s all the time while gaming).

LM is not needed really. Kryonaut or GC provide good results already.

5. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, I've decided to give W10 a try. Are there any issues with any of the official Dell drivers at the moment except for the Nvidia and Intel ones?

c69k likes this.
  6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are no issues on my system, neither with Nvidia nor Intel, I use latest downloaded off their pages. Windows 10 fresh install has all drivers included.

The only issue I have for a week is that sometimes my sound center (the blue one) seems to not always do its job, and Google Chrome YouTube videos lose bass.

I use wireless headphones, so pretty comfy, I ignore this issue as it does not affect headphones.

I will definitely sort this speaker sound problem very soon. There are 2 people I know from Alienware forum having same sound problems.

Windows 10 seems pretty solid since release, if there was an issue, it was easy to troubleshoot.

cn555ic likes this.
  7. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you! Looks like it did get everything auto-installed. So outside of updating the graphics drivers, do I still have to install all the chipset, thermal framework and similar stuff from Dell, or just trust that W10 figured everything out since there are no unknow devices left in the device manager?

c69k likes this.
  8. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is an easy solution to LM spillage (provided we are talking about the CPU not the GPU). Just buy some cheap thermal paste like MX-4 or Ceramique and load a generous amount around the CPU die with LM to act as sort of a gasket seal once the cooler is mounted on.

9. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is RAPR snip of all important drivers on my laptop.
    rapr drivers.jpg

This is Dell 13 r3 support page, I only installed these few drivers after fresh Windows 10 install. (marked with a tickmark), The rest all the way to the end of the list (20-30) drivers are really optional, but mostly bloatware IMHO.
    dell driver to install.jpg

cn555ic likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @rinneh attached a small copper shim to even out the contact between HSF and CPU/GPU. You can ask him.