*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So set it to 22c and then look at the temps.

c69k likes this.
  2. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks to mother nature, we have auto climate change which is around 28-32C.

c69k likes this.
  4. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes but many have climate controlled environments which Mother Nature doesn’t play a role!

c69k and Vasudev like this.
  5. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you do the XG ones that are digital signed now by puresoftapps? Can you install them just like getting them from geforce?

c69k likes this.
  6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @propeldragon

No, but they (newest .81 made by @6theboss) overclocks better than newest XtremeG .81 somehow. (see PM)
    The puresoft .81 I was unable to install (therefore test), both legacy and DCH.

7. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The answer is quite complicated but I will try my best to explain.

The keyboard on this laptop is connected via a PS/2 port. This means that the keyboard keystrokes generate an immediate electrical signal to an IC on the mobo that triggers a CPU interrupt basically as soon as the I/O controller can muster. Contrast this to a USB type bus where the port has a polling rate (i.e. there is a steady stream of data packets) and signals are "queued" if you will, for transmission along the earliest available packet. This means a USB based system can interleave access from 2 or more I/O devices seamlessly without them interfering with each other (so long as the PCH can keep up).

The touchpad on this laptop is connected to the laptop via PS/2 (connecting to the same IC as the keyboard in fact) as well but the signals go through a software translation layer (i.e. the touchpad drivers). This means that while the touchpad is technically PS/2, the signal handling is more akin to USB since the software provides a queue of requests to the CPU.

The implications of this arrangement is that a steady continuous keyboard interrupt by holding down a key or rapidly typing keys will actually override the signal from the touchpad because the keyboard can poll faster and more frequently than the touchpad can.

The reason you don't see this problem when using USB peripherals alongside the internal keyboard/touchpad is that they route the signal via USB through the PCH and bypass that PS/2 IC completely.

Here is the older schematics for the 13 R2 but the layout compared to the modern 13R3 unit is quite similar as far as the I/O is concerned that can show what I mean:

https://bdfixforum.blogspot.com/2017/02/dell-alienware-13-compal-zap00-la-a301p.html

The IC2 link from the system to the touchpad is only used for RGB LED control, the action signals are routed through the ENE KB9022 IC which then routes through a LPC bus to the system.

While Alienware's I/O system is simpler, more idiot proof (because PS/2 will always work regardless of the state of the software), more responsive (we actually have one of the only laptop keyboards on the market that supports true N-key rollover) and likely cheaper to implement. It is not optimal for gaming as the touchpad is sharing the bus with the keyboard.

In contrast, laptops with a focus on gaming using the internal keyboard + touchpad like the Razer models use USB signalling almost exclusively for their internal I/O.

For me personally, this PS/2 system the 13R3 uses is the reason I love this laptop for work so much. It's incredibly responsive for typing and mousework to a level I cannot really quite describe. It's actually more responsive and lower latency than my desktop which uses a mech keyboard + a G502 and much much more powerful hardware.

8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi, I wanted to try disabling DPTF (Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant) on my laptop for ages, but all articles on disabling it completely failed at some point, until I found this.

This way DPTF does not re-install and it is easy to revert back if needed.

1. Create this *.reg file with content below.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions]
    "DenyDeviceIDs"=dword:00000001
    "DenyDeviceIDsRetroactive"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions\DenyDeviceIDs]
    "1"="*INT3409"
    "2"="*INT3404"
    "3"="*INT3403"
    "4"="*INT3400"
    "5"="*INT3407"
    "6"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_1903&CC_1180"
    "7"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_9C24&CC_1180"

2. Right click, select merge.
    3. Uninstall every DPTF item in Device manager
    Annotation 2019-02-08 140617.jpg
    4. Disable every 'yellow triangle' already uninstalled DPTF item in Device manager
    5. Restart
    6. Test
    7. To revert back, just delete the 2 registry keys that you created (in step 1.) through Regedit
    8. Re-install DPTF (latest I found is here) one DPTF item by one through Device manager/have disk method:
    https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...tory&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=3834&lang=fr

My findings so far WITHOUT DPTF:

1. During game my fans were spinning much faster RPM, but CPU and GPU stayed the same temperature as with DPTF installed.

2. New 2 items appeared in hwinfo64. PL1 and PL2 power limit. Normally I have to turn on processor performance in Bios to see them.
    Inkednew items_LI.jpg

Original link: https://bradshacks.com/disable-dptf/

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    propeldragon and Vasudev like this.
  9. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

If the fans spin faster and temps are still the same, I would think it’s not a gain?

propeldragon likes this.
  10. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks, but don't own any Alienwares, so can't give any information specific to this model.

I can tell you that this OLED panel is a modern über-thin lcd design, meaning that it lacks mounting screws. Such panels are usually affixed to the lid with double-sided tape. This stuff is very sticky and therefor quite difficult to remove; proceed with extreme caution because even a moderate bit of warp will permanently bend the lcd (same as with the 'bendable' iphone). Heat will soften the glue, but I prefer pulling a thin wire between the lid and lcd, slicing through the tape. Thin fishing line works nicely; little resistance, non-conductive and no chance to damage the lcd.